topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Resolution: an open source desktop in 2007?  (Read 3551 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Resolution: an open source desktop in 2007?
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:06 AM »
Bob Sutor makes a New Year's resolution for 2007:

Here is a resolution for 2007: by the end of the year, my primary home desktop will only run Linux. I may keep an old computer running Windows for the occasional application, but I will work over time to eliminate that entirely....

Would you consider retiring Windows in favor of Linux (or even a Mac)? (Bob has a 5-day comment policy if you're going to join the conversation there.)

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Resolution: an open source desktop in 2007?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 03:17 PM »
Hmm, I think I am retiring to nix very soon.. can't be f?cked sticking with windows.. same goes to all the windows software..
i even begin trying to only use oss/freeware on windows now.. mind you that didn't work out good for long..

i am honestly getting sick of windows.. been using it for years.  ;D
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Resolution: an open source desktop in 2007?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 03:59 PM »
Honestly, I am not switching to a niche OS when what I am using now works well and offers, generally, higher quality and better designed programs than the alternative does.

While linux is free, and most of its software is too, that comes at the cost of quality and support. Yes, I can go to various forums for support, however, if no one knows, I am SOL on my problem and am left to my own devices to figure it out. I also would be giving up the polish that I am used to in a windows app. With linux, most of the GUI's feel tacked on and like an after-thought.

Switching to another OS, just because, to me is like these people who switch their documents to this new ODF format for no other reason than to spite Microsoft. Again, the "If the current environment works, why switch?" logic comes into play.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:02 PM by Josh »