ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

CustomBar

<< < (3/9) > >>

Darwin:
ObjectDock is candy for the eyes, but will to my understanding not remote control any media players, or tell anything about the system - and you'll need the $20 version to have System Tray Support. But even $20 seems cheap.

--- End quote ---

Both the pro and the free versions accomplish both via "docklets" (much like TrueLaunchBar's plug-ins). To check out what is available, go here, enable advanced search options, then select "docklets". Note that the link goes to a search for "Winamp". I tried Media and got skins only... system resource information is handled by a lot of different docklets, but the most popular seems to be systats, which also works on yzdock, among others. I own a license for ObjectDock Plus but don't have it installed anymore - I use TrueLaunchBar instead.

Curt:
By now I have tried every one of these launch bars, mostly for some hours only. Maybe it is my PC, but several of these bars turned out to be too buggy - or maybe I was too dumm to figure out how to do. I know I'm not smart enough to PowerPro, which I'm testing right now, as the last one in line, but never the less I've decided to give PowerPro a much longer test periode. Some months, I guess.

The only point with this little post is that after mini-testing all these programs, I still like the CustomBar concept better! If only the author would update it  :-*

Curt:
The only point with this little post is that after mini-testing all these programs, I still like the CustomBar concept better! If only the author would update it  :-*
-Curt (December 15, 2006, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I received an e-mail from the author:

Hi Curt,

I am re-examining CustomBar over the next couple months. I do have a version developed that has tooltips and iTunes support (iTunes requires further testing). At some point this will be released for sure. I do want to keep CB going as I myself use it and I’ve received many e-mails from people wishing further development. I will know more after I’ve re-assessed my businesses however.

Matt
--- End quote ---
- "as I myself use it"
So there really is hope!  :)

Re-reading my previous post: I did not mean to imply that they all are buggy or bad programs. Many are fine programs, but don't work the way I would like them to work, or look a way I would like them to - many are 'candy' looking with exaggerate pop-up effects; not to my taste.

Curt:
I realize that PowerPro does so many things in so many different ways it is VERY difficult to keep track of what you want to do vs. what can be done, but making a space-saving launcher is easy once you get on the right track. I've been toying with the idea of writing up a PowerPro Mini-tutorial for a few months now, maybe it's getting a bit overdue...
-Edvard (December 13, 2006, 03:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Testing PowerPro, I can only say that I sure hope you will write this tutorial  :up:
- this is hard stuff...  :-[

thefritz_j:
(I don't know if this has what you need but just as an FYI....  )

Without installing any other software you can create an auto-hidining launch bar in Windows XP. 
1.  Right click on the task bar and go to Toolbars and select Desktop (if it isn't there pick it from New Toolbar).  This will add the desktop to your task bar. 

2.  Now take the "handle" (the little vertical bump) of this toolbar and drag it to the far left/right/top of the screen (away from the taskbar).  This should "attach" the new toolbar on the side of the screen. 

3.  You can then select Auto-Hide (and other task bar type settings) for this tool bar (via properties) independant of the Windows Task bar.  Personally I take off the Text and Title and switch the icons to smaller.

Tell me if this doesn't work for you, because I might have forgot a step.  I have an auto-hiding toolbar with the "Desktop" in it (with my desktop icons hidden) and it is invalulable to me because I don't have to minimize anything to open an app.

Yeah, you shouldn't need any third party stuff for this, it's quite a nice feature and I use it everyday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version