ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR 1.13.01 launches SLOWER than 1.09.05

(1/2) > >>

keyboardy:
First let me say that FARR is one of the best tools I've encountered in a long time. :up:

Like many, I have found the startup delay to be a bit of a problem, particularly since the first few keys I type might be lost between pressing the hotkey and the window appearing.  (Yes, I know this will mostly be resolved if I turn off history...but history is useful!)  So I intentionally wait a second after hitting the hotkey before I start typing.

Anyway, I'd been using 1.09.05 all this time.  I just upgraded to 1.13.01 (noticing that the changelog mentions that an attempt has been made to improve upon this issue), and it's DEFINITELY slower for me, meaning even more keys will be lost unless I wait even longer.

I reinstalled 1.09.05...faster again.  Reinstalled 1.13.01...slower again.  I repeated a few times, and it was always the same.

So...I'll go back to 1.09.05 and stay there for now!  Just wanted to pass this information along.  FYI, I'm using Windows XP SP2 on a 1.7GHz machine with 1.5GB of RAM.

Do you keep a link available to older versions?  I want to recommend this tool to friends, but I'm less inclined to recommend 1.13.01 than I am the 1.09.05 that I know is faster.

Thanks again for your great tool!

lanux128:
Do you keep a link available to older versions?  I want to recommend this tool to friends, but I'm less inclined to recommend 1.13.01 than I am the 1.09.05 that I know is faster.
--- End quote ---
this is definitely mouser's call but imo, this will cause confusion as users will be posting bug reports and feature requests based on an older versions..

so keyboardy, why don't help out mouser by giving him more input to work on the improvement of the current release of Farr, escpecially in the two experimental areas..

keyboardy:
Well, people are STILL using older versions regardless (as I was all this time).  Clearly labelling each version is usually the way to go.  Most sites tend to keep legacy versions around for just these kinds of reasons.

Anyway, I'd be happy to help!  How do I help in those areas?

lanux128:
yes agreed, i myself test-drive new programs several times before deciding to keep them and sometimes do revert back to an older version..

and by posting here, you have taken the 1st step. just hang on until this thread appears on mouser's radar.. 8)

mouser:
1.13.01 should definitely NOT run slower then earlier versions at all, if it does it means something's going wrong, either in code or differences in settings - i'd be very interested in tracking down what it might be.  maybe you expand a little about what you mean by "slower to startup".  one question i always ask is is there any noticable delay in if you toggle it opened and closed with break key several times in a row, beyond the first time becoming visible after a period of disuse.  And definitely check out the options lanux posted about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version