topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TED Videos etc..  (Read 9697 times)

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TED Videos etc..
« on: December 08, 2006, 10:48 PM »
Just thought I would let everyone who isn't aware of it, that TED have a website.. Ted.com  :Thmbsup: (WhoodaGuessdit?) It features videos of many speakers, and there is a blog RSS feed that alerts you to new videos being posted.

For the uninitiated, TED is a conference for 1,000 people per year who are notoriously creative / intelligent. Lot's of technology related stuff there! Not just philosophy. In the way of tech, this video here is fantastic.

Enjoy!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TED Videos etc..
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 03:20 PM »
When I found that video on youtube, I considered posting about it but didn't. (got tired or something and really needed sleep)

I am really glad I didn't now, since your post was even better...went to the source of the goodies.

:)

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 05:05 PM »
When I found that video on youtube, I considered posting about it but didn't. (got tired or something and really needed sleep)

I am really glad I didn't now, since your post was even better...went to the source of the goodies.

:)

Glad you enjoy them, app  :) I want to go one day, but a) could never afford it. b) not smart enough to be invited  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 04:30 PM »
Reviving an old thread:

From the folks over at gHacks.com come this terrific resource (emphasis added):

TED Talks List

Ted Talks are a collection of talks by some of the worlds leading thinkers and doers on Technology, Entertainment and Design (hence the name TED). Many of the talks are inspiring and try to convey ideas on all sorts of subjects in those three categories. Many of the talks are available on the Ted website in various formats. They can even be downloaded to the local computer system.

Someone made an effort to put all of the published Ted Talks in a list with direct onsite links to the videos, the name of the talker, the title, a description, the date, running time and event it was held. This is an incredible useful spreadsheet for anyone interested in at least one of the focus areas of TED.

Link to article at gHacks: http://www.ghacks.ne...3/31/ted-talks-list/

Direct link to list: http://spreadsheets....lYH-8AK8ffDa6o2bYlXg

If you are interested in TED, this is one of the most comprehensive indexes available.

If you've never heard of TED, read the gHacks article and sample some of the videos. You won't be disappointed.

I'm burning up a lot of bandwidth while getting caught up on a tech dozen topics I'm interested in. Come see what some of the biggest, brightest, and most creative of the techno-dieties have been getting up to.

:Thmbsup::Thmbsup:

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 04:38 PM »
Funny timing.  I just blogged about another great TED talk today on a Sixth Sense Machine.

Be warned, once you start watching TED talks you'll get caught up watching *lots* of them.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 04:39 PM »
I generally find TED videos to be sensational and less informative. It does not keep up to the premise.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 04:50 PM »
The TED talks aren't supposed to be informative.  Each speaker only has 18min max.  Its about inspiration.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 04:56 PM »
I personally do not feel inspired. I guess to me inspiration comes through straight unwaxed knowledge and demonstration.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 04:59 PM »
i agree with kartal -- i find them annoying -- almost like i am watching an infomercial.

note that i don't doubt the value of the speakers or that they have fascinating stuff to tell us.  what bothers me is how the TED talks seem almost entirely designed to get the audience to repeatedly ooh and ahh.. and how the people in charge of TED have specifically set up microphones to capture and let us hear all these loud oohs and ahs from the audience, exactly like an infomercial.  it's just too much for me -- i'd rather hear a calm talk designed to teach.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:02 PM by mouser »

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 05:11 PM »
Each his own...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:34 PM »
what bothers me is how the TED talks seem almost entirely designed to get the audience to repeatedly ooh and ahh..

True. But you'll get the same thing at an Apple or Microsoft conference.

I don't think it's so much a TED thing, as the way almost everything is being presented these days. Communication goes through fads. At one time, it was overhead projectors, then PowerPoint, then quasi-interactive web. And nowadays it seem to be pseudo-revivalist and football rally mass meetings. And there's one simple reason why this happens: It works.

Still, I wouldn't come down too hard on TED. It is a breath of fresh air in a technological landscape that often sees 'innovation' as nothing more than doing just enough to cut costs, or get to the next product release cycle.

To my way of thinking, enthusiasm coupled with an almost child-like sense of wonder isn't necessarily a bad thing. The USA has just come off eight years of rule by serious, humorless, pragmatic individuals. They didn't seem to make the world a much better place no matter how much they argued it was time for all of us to "get real."

I'll take the dancers and the dreamers any day of the week. The super-serious types may talk a good game, but most of the real innovation and advances come from the people who don't take themselves all that seriously. Maybe they don't need validation from other people because they already know they're smart.

I say let the smart kids have their 'open mic' night. If one of them piques my interest about something they're up to, I'll go off and do my own research on the topic. And at that point, I'll become very serious indeed.

Until then, bring on the elephants, the fireworks, and the dancing girls. :Thmbsup: