ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anonymous Google searches with G-Zapper

(1/2) > >>

Rohit:
Link : http://www.dummysoftware.com/gzapper.html

From the website:
Did you know that Google stores a unique identifier in a cookie on your PC, which allows them to track the keywords you search for? They use this information to compile reports, track user habits, and test features. In the future, it is possible they could even sell this information or share it with
others. ...

G-Zapper helps you protect your identity and valuable attention data. ...  G-Zapper allows you to delete or entirely block the Google search cookie from future installation.
--- End quote ---

Even though I like Google, I am not comfortable about the fact that it maintains tracking information for all searches, for an indefinite time. A few months ago, AOL users' search data was compromised. Even though Google might be more diligent about protecting their users' data, there is always a threat that it can be forced to share the data through a government subpoena.

I have installed this software, and sure enough, there was a 491 days old cookie on my machine. I deleted it, and will be doing so regularly now. :)

Anonymous Google searches with G-Zapper

cemole:
There is another option for anonymous searches if you are using FireFox: Customize Google.

CustomizeGoogle is a Firefox extension that enhance Google search results by adding extra information (like links to Yahoo, Ask.com, MSN etc) and removing unwanted information (like ads and spam). All features are optional and easily configured from the options menu. View a short introduction movie at www.customizegoogle.com
--- End quote ---

NigelH:
You could always use Scroogle
http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

Rohit:
Thank you, cemole and NigelH.

Customize Google looks very useful; I've installed it and will be trying it out.

Scroogle is also a good solution, but I favor the former because:
(1) I find it very useful to search from Firefox's "search box," and I can't use that for Scroogle, and,
(2) Scroogle blocks the ads, a practice I don't want to support. I do find Google useful, and I'd be happy if it makes some money through advertisements.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Renegade:
Combine Scroogle with TOR and you've got a fantastic way to search for poisons to kill your cheating spouse and ways to dispose of the body!
 :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version