ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Real code vs. Code in the movies

<< < (4/7) > >>

app103:
Hey.. every one.. they are movies.. c'mon. what do you expect? reality? hahaha
-mitzevo (December 08, 2006, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a hobby of mine to point out the absurdities while watching movies...makes it more fun. Watching a movie in my house is like being a part of MST3000.  :D

Ruffnekk:
Me too app. My wife hates it when I start criticizing everything in a movie, especially one about computers or hackers :) Like hacking is all about taking a couple of wild guesses on a huge 36 point font, multi-coloured, 3D animated login prompt and getting it right in every movie  :-\ Same thing with lock-picking.. don’t get me started *G*

Edvard:
yeah, remember WarGames? We could add another rule...

11. NORAD ICBM launch sequences don't talk
(and BTW, NORAD is completely electronically disconnected from the outside world. You cannot pick the lock if there is no door)

Like hacking is all about taking a couple of wild guesses on a huge 36 point font, multi-coloured, 3D animated login prompt and getting it right in every movie
--- End quote ---
Right. However, hacking IS popping in a diskette of Nmap 2.54BETA25 and scanning for a vulnerable SSH Server and exploiting it with the SSH1 CRC32 exploit from 2001.

What movie did that?
Take a wild guess first and go to the next to last item here -> http://insecure.org

Oops, they violated rule 2...

Actually when I'm in terminal mode on my Linux box at home, I have Bash configured for green on black. It takes me back to 1985 and a classroom full of Apple IIe's... :sigh:

f0dder:
(and BTW, NORAD is completely electronically disconnected from the outside world. You cannot pick the lock if there is no door)

--- End quote ---
Yeah? That's what YOU think!

--- ---Using username "falken".
Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-1983" from agent
Passphrase for key "rsa-key-1983": joshua
Last login: Thu Dec  7 04:29:55 2006 from 0x1337c0de.adsl.cybercity.dk
Linux 2.4.30.
falken@norad-42:~$ su
Password:
root@norad-2:/home/falken# icbm-launch "Redmond, WA 98052"

Edvard:
 ;D ;D ;D

and using Linux kernel 2.4.30 to do it too!

although I could not find "icbm-launch" on SourceForge :huh:

P.S. Nuking all of Redmond as opposed to passing GPS coords for the MS campus only would perhaps be a little overkill, but I used to live there and the streets through town are pretty much a drive-thru shopping mall, so no great loss...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version