Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 26, 2014, 03:36:04 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: TakeABreak should be named "j00GotPwned!"  (Read 5938 times)
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 07, 2006, 02:31:24 PM »

Skrommel,

I decided I need some major enforcement to getting myself off the computer, since I seem to have no self-control in the evening and stay up much too late. So today I downloaded your TakeABreak utility to see if it would suit my needs.

When I ran it, it told me to edit the ini file. Most of your utilities let me right click the tray icon and adjust the settings, so I tried that. Nothing happened when I right clicked it. Nothing happened when I left clicked it. So I went into the directory the .exe file was stored in and there was no ini file to edit.

"Great!" I thought, "now it's going to force me to go on a break when I don't want it to." Since I couldn't right-click it to close it, I decided to open the task manager and end the process. Every time I brought up the task manager via ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-shift-esc it would immediately close.

TakeABreak was suppressing my task manager! There was no way I could close it! So I looked among your other utilities to see if you had one to kill a process. Kill wouldn't work because it closes the window under my mouser. So I tried CloseMany and repeatedly told it to close/kill TakeABreak, but it didn't work.

Finally I remembered that Mouser's Process Tamer lets you set a rule to kill processes, and it worked!

Thank goodness I finally got it closed, and thank goodness I hadn't already put it in my startup folder to start when Windows runs!

I did try running TakeABreak again to see if it had just locked up or something but every time it had the same result and I had to use Process Tamer to close it.0

So it looks like both TakeABreak and CloseMany need some modification to work properly.

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 06:43:42 PM »

Damn, TakeABreak is powerful, i had no knowledge about that!
I have no courage to use it, though Wink
Weird, in my computer, it did create the .ini file...

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 06:46:23 PM »

Damn, TakeABreak is powerful, i had no knowledge about that!
I have no courage to use it, though Wink
Weird, in my computer, it did create the .ini file...

It finally did create the .ini file after the second or third run, but with it suppressing my task manager and no convenient way to close it, I found it unusable.

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:03:08 AM »

There is a less drastic solution that might help. It won't do the drastic thing of locking up your pc to force you off it, but if you can find the willpower to walk away when it tells you to take a break, it might work for you.  Wink

Yeah, it's mine.  smiley

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 08:15:41 PM »

Well actually what I'd like is a program that at a pretermined time everynight it will give me a 15-minute warning and then lock my computer for a couple of hours.

I'm sorry to say I don't know if I have the willpower or self-control to get myself away from the intertubes.

skrommel
Fastest code in the west

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 11:56:54 AM »

smiley Sorry for your problems, Deozaan. Maybe I should state it more clearly in the information.

But adding a "nighttime" option is a great ide! I shure could need one!

Skrommel
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 05:53:26 PM by skrommel » Logged

Please stop by my site at  1 Hour Software by skrommel  for downloads and more info.
delwoode
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 06:22:50 AM »

I use takeabreak all the time (the script version) and have not had any such problems
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.13 ]