topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TakeABreak should be named "j00GotPwned!"  (Read 11971 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
TakeABreak should be named "j00GotPwned!"
« on: December 07, 2006, 02:31 PM »
Skrommel,

I decided I need some major enforcement to getting myself off the computer, since I seem to have no self-control in the evening and stay up much too late. So today I downloaded your TakeABreak utility to see if it would suit my needs.

When I ran it, it told me to edit the ini file. Most of your utilities let me right click the tray icon and adjust the settings, so I tried that. Nothing happened when I right clicked it. Nothing happened when I left clicked it. So I went into the directory the .exe file was stored in and there was no ini file to edit.

"Great!" I thought, "now it's going to force me to go on a break when I don't want it to." Since I couldn't right-click it to close it, I decided to open the task manager and end the process. Every time I brought up the task manager via ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-shift-esc it would immediately close.

TakeABreak was suppressing my task manager! There was no way I could close it! So I looked among your other utilities to see if you had one to kill a process. Kill wouldn't work because it closes the window under my mouser. So I tried CloseMany and repeatedly told it to close/kill TakeABreak, but it didn't work.

Finally I remembered that Mouser's Process Tamer lets you set a rule to kill processes, and it worked!

Thank goodness I finally got it closed, and thank goodness I hadn't already put it in my startup folder to start when Windows runs!

I did try running TakeABreak again to see if it had just locked up or something but every time it had the same result and I had to use Process Tamer to close it.0

So it looks like both TakeABreak and CloseMany need some modification to work properly.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TakeABreak should be named "j00GotPwned!"
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 06:43 PM »
Damn, TakeABreak is powerful, i had no knowledge about that!
I have no courage to use it, though ;)
Weird, in my computer, it did create the .ini file...

don't read this if you don't want to know how to efectively killing these kind of programs
just use the fantastic process explorer. It's like windows task manager, only WAY better :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 06:46 PM »
Damn, TakeABreak is powerful, i had no knowledge about that!
I have no courage to use it, though ;)
Weird, in my computer, it did create the .ini file...

It finally did create the .ini file after the second or third run, but with it suppressing my task manager and no convenient way to close it, I found it unusable.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:03 AM »
There is a less drastic solution that might help. It won't do the drastic thing of locking up your pc to force you off it, but if you can find the willpower to walk away when it tells you to take a break, it might work for you.  ;)

Yeah, it's mine.  :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 08:15 PM »
Well actually what I'd like is a program that at a pretermined time everynight it will give me a 15-minute warning and then lock my computer for a couple of hours.

I'm sorry to say I don't know if I have the willpower or self-control to get myself away from the intertubes.

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 11:56 AM »
 :) Sorry for your problems, Deozaan. Maybe I should state it more clearly in the information.

But adding a "nighttime" option is a great ide! I shure could need one!

Skrommel
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 05:53 PM by skrommel »

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 06:22 AM »
I use takeabreak all the time (the script version) and have not had any such problems