ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: collect files in a virtual folder

<< < (5/6) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
Yes, but not in a useful way.  :(  The only way you can see what is in a collection is to open it in DOpus, where it looks just like any other folder. Outside, it doesn't.
-JennyB (December 13, 2006, 05:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is a shame then  :(

Perry Mowbray:
Just found this:
IDEA: collect files in a virtual folder

from BaxBex which may go a little way to filling the need?

- Perry

cracksloth:
i have exchanged a couple of emails with the author of "My Smartfolders":
http://www.castlepeaksoftware.com/

"My Smartfolders" is a shell namespace that allows you to tag files within your system (local or network).  then you can create smartfolders that only display the files with certain tags.  this is a big step in the right direction but the things that are missing:
 - ability to tag files using the commandline
 - access to the explorer right-click context menu for files in a smartfolder.
    a minimal context menu currently exists but you will not have access
    to the sendto menu or any installed shell extensions
 - when a file is renamed/moved, "my smartfolder" can find it.  although
    generally, this is a good feature, it will create problems when using
    "log monitor" because when you move a file, you want it to disappear
    from the list.  i suggested that the user be able to disable this feature
    for certain smartfolders.

we talked about the ideas mentioned above and he said:
"Currently, we're in the process of evaluating in which direction we're going to take My SmartFolders, so you're feedback is very useful."

hopefully, i will hear something more definate in the future.  if so, i will let you all know.  it is currently $29 but if it can fix the problems above, i think they will have a new user.

cracksloth:
I'd be interested in reading the links you found...

--- End quote ---

@perry:

i just did a google search for "shell namespace" trying to find related programs but given the technical language i mostly pulled up a bunch of code examples.  admittedly, a lot of the code examples i ran acrosss were in delphi but i would assume that examples would exist for other programming languages as well.  unfortunately, i didn't save any links to show since i don't speak delphi  :)

kartal:
It looks like recursion is stopping short on my system. It does not dig enough. Is it possible to increase folder recursion number?

Also is it possible to create shortcuts based on parent folder`s name rather than from exe?

thanks

:) Just updated ShortCutter v1.1.

Changes:
- 20061209 - v1.1: Marks the shortcuts with modification date instead of creation date, removes shortcuts to missing files, updates modification date of all shortcuts.

Skrommel
-skrommel (December 09, 2006, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version