ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: collect files in a virtual folder

<< < (3/6) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
The more I've thought about this the more I like the idea...

a folder of shortcuts to a group of files is not as useful because you get the right-click context menu for the shortcut (rather than the file it represents).  this means that you cannot move/copy/rename the files.  a virtual folder provides access to the files as if they were really grouped together in an actual folder.
-cracksloth (December 08, 2006, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's true, but my thinking was that the application that manages the shortcuts would do the other functions: copy, move, write to dvd, etc.

I think that would give you the best of both worlds: a lot like your favourites folder, you can open and act on the shortcut.

the question is what is the best way to allow all programs to access the same virtual folders.
--- End quote ---

My first thought was doing something like Shell Object Editor would get it very accessible.

pretend you are working on a project.  for example, say you are authoring a dvd.
--- End quote ---

The term that comes to mind is Categorised Favourites  ;)

Doesn't sum it up completely, but it's what came to mind...

- Perry

Perry Mowbray:
A Recent Documents Manager was mentioned Over Here, which is not too dissimilar to some aspects of the requirements posted in this thread.

- Perry

cracksloth:
as mentioned in that thread, it is a bit bloated for the needs addressed here.  and the ability to add items to a specific virtual folder using the commandline it a must for the kind of functionality mentioned above.

integrating this as a shell object so that it can be viewed in a file manager certainly has its benefits.  i am only concerned that going down this road would require more time/effort than a traditional "coding snack".  i would be completely thrilled with either way.

@skrommel:
do NTFS hard links support files on network shares?

Perry Mowbray:
as mentioned in that thread, it is a bit bloated for the needs addressed here.  and the ability to add items to a specific virtual folder using the commandline it a must for the kind of functionality mentioned above.-cracksloth (December 10, 2006, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, I completely agree: just thought the two ideas were not too dissimilar  ;)

integrating this as a shell object so that it can be viewed in a file manager certainly has its benefits.  i am only concerned that going down this road would require more time/effort than a traditional "coding snack".  i would be completely thrilled with either way.
-cracksloth (December 10, 2006, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree again! Especially: something would be great!

- Perry

skrommel:
 :) For more info on links, read http://shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=284. You'll also find some tools there.

Skrommel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version