ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

an idea about an alternative to multiple configuration files

<< < (4/6) > >>

cracksloth:
i've been busy lately so sorry i haven't provided much feedback lately.  anyway, i though i should reply to some of these ideas:

a real attraction of this approach for me is the desire to avoid multiple configuration files, for the reasons i have described previously (things like hotkeys and aliases seem like they should be shared between config groups).
--- End quote ---

i meant to imply that hotkeys and aliases would be found in the general program options (not a config file).  using multiple config files would require that you separate some features into general options so that they apply universally to all configs (like hotkeys and aliases).  i guess i miscommunicated.  so, to me, there isn't a lot of difference between the idea of a separate config "file" and a "config group" that keeps its settings internally.  both suit the same function.

the real innovation mentioned here is the method of switching between configs.  like i mentioned before, there are many ways to be able to switch between configs.  we've mentioned quite a few in the past including the ability to switch between configs using the keyboard by creating a "command" or "alias".  the method of switching configs presented here (as a prefix) is also acceptable and it has the added bonus of easily being able to specify multiple configs simultaneously.  this may be useful if a user does not want to specify a specific config group for both sets of folders.

but lets talk about what options need to be in each config group/file:

search folders
heuristic scoring
pattern scoring
max entries to display in results list (X)
results display style (small icons, large icons, detailed report)
result label extension (yes, no)

specifying multiple config groups simultaneously may interfere with the last two settings because they define *how* results are displayed - this means multiple config groups could have conflicting settings.  because i believe these settings are essential, we need to discuss ways of addressing these issues:

------------------
results display style (small icons, large icons, detailed report):  what happens when different display styles are specified in each config group?  i think that each style should be given a value:
  - thumbnails (0)
  - large icons (1)
  - small icons (2)
  - detailed report (3)
when multiple config groups are specified, f&r should display the results using the style of the greatest number.  for example, if you specified both a video config group (that was set to display thumbnails) and a music config group (that was set to display small icons), then f&r would display the results as small icons.  i realize, that f&r does not currently have a thumbnail display style - i just used it as an example.

if you don't like that idea or if you want something more simple, you could just have f&r always display as a detailed report if the two config groups do not have the same display style.
--------------------
result label extension (yes, no):  this one is easier... if the config groups disagree, then just show all extensions.
--------------------

anyway, i hope this was helpful.  for the record, i do not want the checkboxes you mentioned for selecting configs to be a part of the main interface.  i would rather that the screen popup when i enter a specific keywork into f&r (like "config" or something).

also, as an aside i thought of another good heuristic score but when i looked at the heuristic scoring tab, this might be a feature you have already included but i just never realized.  basically, it would add a percentage of the "score" amount equal to the percentage that the search characters match the result filename.  so if i set a heuristic score item:
percentage match bonus = 200 points
then i entered "word" into the search field.  let's say i get 3 matching results:
Word
Word Perfect
Wordy

the "Word" result would get the full 200 point bonus.  the "Word Perfect" result would only get 33% of the 200 points (66 points) because the entry "word" comprises 33% of the result "Word Perfect" (unless you want to ignore spaces).  likewise, the "Wordy" result would receive 80% of the 200 points (160 points).  make sense?  well, when i was looking at the heuristic tab, i noticed "percentage of search string points".  since i don't know what this is, it might already be what i am trying to describe.  :)

anyway, that's about it!  take care guys!

-cracksloth

mouser:
percentage score does exactly what you say - its meant to favor more exact matches over partial matches;
there is also a bonus for matching the start of a filename vs. middle.

you previous points about config file selecting modes of display - this is the real issue that must be resolved.

my inclination is to make those display options NOT part of multiple configuration groups; it just seems too messy.

let's simplify our discussions a bit by defining some terms.

lets use Config Files to talk about the configuraiton file which contains ALL options.

and lets use Filter Groups (instead of config groups) to mean the new proposed method of being able to label search directories and scoring patterns to be used when you specify an extra filter group name (like music).

so what i would like to propose is the following:
Filter Groups as we've discussed in this thread, which only affect search folders and scoring patterns.

but i'm open to the idea of a ability to maintain multiple Config files, and load them when you want, and load them on startup through commandline; A config file will be a complete set of independent options, search folders, aliases, etc.  Frankly i would be loathe to use multiple config files, but i'm willing to add it if its something people are compelled to you because they sometimes want one kind of display mode and sometimes another.

i think we have to ask ourselves how often it will be that people will want to quickly switch between display modes - and if so, lets make quick button options for this - rather than separate config files.

cracksloth i hear what you are saying about multiple config files and then having other options that would be shared between all config files (e.g. aliases), but what i'm saying is that maybe this is overkill.

lets identify the things that users will want to easily switch between frequently (if its number of results, then lets have a button for changing betweeen few and many).  if its size of window, ditto.  rather than having different config files which is really a pain to deal with both from programming standpoint, user interface standpoint, and explaining to user standpoint.

i think if we can capture 90% of the motivation for separate config files using Filter Groups, i'm inclined to go with that and find an alternative to having separate config files for the other settings.

ps.
cracksloth i was thinking a little more about your plugin idea and i'm actually starting to consider it.. i'll report on this more, but basically it would be just a little more than what is already planned to let you type arbitrary commands into F&R.  i'll post more later when i figure out a little more.

cracksloth:
comments:

mouser, would you divide those heuristic options into two:
"percentage match bonus" & "beginning of filename bonus"
when searching for the title of an mp3s (for example), it would be beneficial not to give bonuses for being in the beginning of a filename.  in addition, these phrases might be more descriptive to slow people like me.  :)

but i'm open to the idea of a ability to maintain multiple Config files...
--- End quote ---
this is unneccessary.  to me, filter groups and multiple configs are the same feature, only different in implementation.  i think other features are more important if for coding reasons, you prefer to switch filter groups rather than config files.  however, commandline options for switching filter groups would still be a good idea (for scripting and setting up aliases).

if you do not want to add the options i mentioned to fiter groups then it is acceptable to add toolbar buttons for:
  - few and many results (assuming that these can be configured by the user).
  - switching display modes
  - a checkbox list to select active filter group(s)

plugins could also exist for the type of content searched.  for example, a search plugin for id3 tags, exif tags, document content, email, etc.  just an idea.  obviously, these ideas would not need to be implemented immediately but they would provide expansion for down the road and would allow f&r to keep up with the many content search tools that are becoming popular these days.  since it is a plugin, other users could contribute by creating these.  and because plugins are optional, they would not need to be loaded by users who do not want them.  they could be listed in each config group under a new tab called "search methods" where the user would select one or more:
  - filename
  - document content
  - id3
  - exif
  - internet history
  - outlook email
  - etc.
each of these search methods would have unique heuristic scoring, pattern scoring, and search folders.  this would be done to reduce confusing options that may not apply in all situations (and it would be more powerful).  for example, you could create a "url" search that would search your internet history and the filenames of your favorites for keyword(s).  anyway, just me rambling again about long term possibilities.  :)  really i am just giving my vote for a plugin system!

mouser:
i think it sounds like we have come to some good compromise solution.

percentage match is differen from begining of filename bonus
begining of filename bonus is in the score list described as "leftmost match bonus"
sorry if i confused the issue by making it sound like they were both called "percentage match"
see help file for description of what all the heuristics do :)

i think i agree with the toolbar button idea - i want to add toolbar buttons for other things and i think we can spare a short row of buttons on f&r screen for such things.

i like the idea of special file-type plugins that would allow you to search specific details of files like mp3 tags.
(though i think i might just build in mp3 tag and url favorites checking and some other common ones).

so there are really 2 different kinds of plugins,
first would be file scanning plugins, like looking for mp3 tags.

the other kind would be a plugin that would react to what you type; like if you typed "dict blah" it would show you the definition of the word in the window.. im still not convinced this is really much of an improvement over the already planned command exe launching function, except that it would be faster to view.

cracksloth:
i like the content plugin idea as well - similar to the plugin system i discussed previously.  i assume that your "dict" command would reap the info from a web dictionary?  this would open up the possibility to reap other kinds of info like weather and movie listings.  potentially, it could behave like a wap browser for access to quick information.  me likey!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version