ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

an idea about an alternative to multiple configuration files

(1/6) > >>

mouser:
i was thinking, what if, instead of alternate config files, you could specify for any of the search folders or pattern matching rules, a set of keywords that it was governed by.

for example you could say that certain folders only should be searched when the keyword mp3 was used.

then you could use these keywords when typing, to restrict to certain config options..

just an idea

kfitting:
I'll admit, when I first read your idea, I didnt really care for it, mouser.  But, after having thought about it a little bit, I love it.  Perhaps you could make it something like this:     mp3:Artist    would return all files that have Artist in them and fit the already configured mp3 config file.  Or, C:help        would find all files wtih help in them based on the C config file.  Here the ":" is used as delimiter but you could choose one that doesn't require shift or make it customizable.

Another idea along these same lines and something that was talked about before, was the idea of file extension searching.  I think this is already implemented but it could follow very similar syntax.  eg, ogg.artist would find all ogg files with artist in the title or xls.budget would find all excel files.

Both of these ideas use a prefix to determine how to search... this makes more sense to me because FindRun searches as you type.  It seems weird to type in the search, get a bunch of hits then restrict them by extension or config file.  Better to load the config and then do the search.  Also, multiple config files could be loaded at once by doing something like ogg.mp3.artist or C:mp3:artist. 

Just some thoughts.  Let me know if i don't make sense!

Kevin

mouser:
i didn't think of the fact that this would let you combine configurations, but this is actually a nice benefit..

the other nice thing is that we could offer two different ways to select the config "modes" to use.

so for example you might type

+mp3 +mydocs artist

which would search for files with the word artist in them, using the mp3 and mydocs configurations.
(where a configuration specifies paths to search and file pattern scores).

AND

there might be a checklist line displayed somewhere on the screen with checkboxes for all the configurations, so instead of typing +mp3 +mydocs you could also just tick the checkboxes for mp3 and mydocs; would be useful as an alternate method and a handy reminder of which configurations are going to be searched.

--

i would also like to suggest that the 'configurations' would not be full separate configuration files, but rather that when you specify file paths for searching, and file pattern scorings, you can also specify the list of configuration groups it matches.

for example instead of in pattern tab of dialog
*.mp3 | score=+400
*.ogg | score=+500

you would have
*.mp3 | score=+400 | mp3,music
*.ogg | score=+500 | music

kfitting:
How does mydocs fit into your non-seperate-config-file idea?  I see how for extensions it would be nice, but if you have arbitrarily named search settings how would this work?  Also, what are your ideas on delimiter?  You used "+ " two characters.  Would this be configurable? 

I would argue (just so the board remains interesting!) that while extension settings should work as you suggested, the user could make their own config files.  I always envisioned these as only controlling extension and folder, not an entire configuration duplication.  The problem is that sometimes there are mp3s in folders that I don't want to enter the results at all (eg from games).  Merely having a weighting system allows me to still find files in those folders.  Or, using your way, would you have seperate weighting configurations?  The way I see it you need some kind of different setting "style sheet" if you will. 

Interesting ideas though!

Kevin

mouser:
here i've been waiting for a reply to my long post... only to find it not here... maybe i forgot to click send  >:(
let me retype it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version