ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: The Holy Grail of text reading on a PC

(1/4) > >>

MerleOne:
Hi all,

Some of you may remember the excellent but short-lived Amiga computer.  It had a unique feature, the ability to synchronize display with the screen refresh on CRT.  This made it possible to have scrolling text reader such as View80, which was very convenient to read long text (books, ...), on screen, thanks to the ultra smooth scrolling with variable speed.

I have not been able to find such a smooth scrolling text reader on PC/Windows, even if todays machines are much more powerful.  Do you know a software doing the same thing (I guess LCD don't work as CRT, but I hope it's still possible) ? 

Thanks.

jgpaiva:
I don't exactly know what you mean, but i think opera's and adobe acrobat's scrolling is pretty smooth... (probably it isn't synced with refresh rate though, i have no idea).

MerleOne:
Thanks for the answer.  Actually it's not smooth enough compared to what View80 could do, also, setting a precise speed is not that easy with Acrobat and Opera (I use both).

.jf.

I don't exactly know what you mean, but i think opera's and adobe acrobat's scrolling is pretty smooth... (probably it isn't synced with refresh rate though, i have no idea).
-jgpaiva (December 05, 2006, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ruffnekk:
So let me get this straight, you are looking for a text reader that scrolls down smoothly at a given pace so you can sit back and read an entire document without doing anything?

MerleOne:
Exactly.  The problem with every method I know is that I still find the scrolling not smooth enough to allow for a comfortable reading.  I have come to the conclusion it might be caused by Windows display management itself, and maybe also to the "remanence" of current LCD, which gives the current scrolling a slightly hazy/fuzzy look .  But I am no programmer and no Windows expert, so it's just a (wild) guess.

So let me get this straight, you are looking for a text reader that scrolls down smoothly at a given pace so you can sit back and read an entire document without doing anything?
-Ruffnekk (December 07, 2006, 01:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version