topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Internet Explorer 7 or "Is MS determined to make everyone hate them by 2010?"  (Read 8315 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I resisted firefox for a loooong time, and for a long time I used netcaptor, which does tabs really well and uses the IE engine.
I finally started switching over to firefox in the last 6 months or so, as i got used to the excellent tab externsion addons.

When IE7 came out I tried it and while i was not exactly happy with the new UI, the tabs seemed to work well enough, and IE7 starts up so much faster than FF for me that i have been using it.

However it seems that the development team on IE really must have missed the Windows 98 phenomena where you would run out of user resources (user interface handles, etc), and programs would start locking up and beeping and breaking and just randomly misbehaving for no reason.  They missed it so much in Windows XP which seemed to have solved this problem, that they put it back into IE7.

In fact this seems to be a trend with MS (who i have defended in the past and continue to think does some great work).  No one write programs that are more incompatible with and prone to break and abuse Microsoft Windows standards than Microsoft itself.  It's one of the great mysteries of the universe that they can't seem to write well behaved programs on their own platform.  Maybe ms should concentrate on writing software for the mac and let other write for windows.

After two or three windows of IE7 are open, all hell breaks lose on my computer (win xp sp2); IE7 itself and other programs start to fail to be able to open new dialogs and windows.  Instead, if i'm lucky, they just beep incoherently when they try.  After much cursing i remember i have to close IE7 and then all programs start behaving ok again.

So, to IE7 i say: "get the F* off of my comptuer."

[ this message cross-posted to http://www.shitware....threads/Default.aspx ]

pfflyer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Recommended Web Tools
    • Donate to Member
I haven't tried to open multiple windows of IE7 yet, like you have.  I will have to give that a shot and see if it does the same thing. I would be curious to know if others have tried this as well and we could all comment.

My beef with IE7 is different:
To me (and this is just totally personal opinion) they were inspired by Opera.  The toolbar and the general interface has an Opera feel to it.  While they are not exactly the same, they are similar.  The IE7 toolbar is a big departure from the IE6 toolbar.  While it is more "modern" (and I guess IE6 and Firefox would be more "traditional"), it will confuse the heck out beginners.  IE6 is the browser used by most "beginners" at work and at home.  IE7 is going to throw them for a loop with the change of user interface.  While Microsoft may have been trying to retain the more advanced crowd who are using alternative browsers, they seem, at least in my opinion, on a road to alienate the large majority of their IE6 user base.
I write and maintain Recommended Web Tools, a website for web development and design beginners. I write about a variety of <a href="http://www.recommendedwebtools.com">web tools</a> and am continually adding to my "recommended" list.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
What Microsoft really needs to do is fire half of their coders, and be a bit more targetted in what they focus on. There's some really great coders at MS, but appearantly also some really lousy ones, and fscktarded managers.
- carpe noctem

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
They missed it so much in Windows XP which seemed to have solved this problem, that they put it back into IE7.
Well, I've been chugging along happily for years with an old installation of NT4 SP6 and IE6 I had in my office until this summer. At home, I use Win 98 (really), and I know the resources problem all too well. No problems with NT4 and about 2 dozen IE windows open (well, IE crashed once in a while, but didn't act like that).
Now I've been forced upon XP SP2 by my company and - XP habitually locks up in exactly the well-known way. Granted, it's with 20+ windows only, but in my experience XP itself is not free from that problem. And while Firefox is a horrible memory hog, Opera will handle >30 open tabs (and multiple windows) nicely (it does crash soemtimes, but not too often. It will also  always return to the latest state of your session).
I actually thought IE7 could be helpful here, but now I hesitate to dl it.
BTW: mouser, you mentioned multiple windows; any problem with a lot of tabs as well?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Try here -> http://ie7.com

Solved all my problems...

:P

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
At least you can find out what bugs are acknowledged, being worked on, fixed. IE7 also have a buglist somewhere. Here is fixed list for Firefox 2.0.0.1 http://forums.mozill...ewtopic.php?t=494984

Try Maxthon 2.0 or http://www.enhanceie.../ie/troubleshoot.asp

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[mouser]: No one write programs that are more incompatible with and prone to break and abuse Microsoft Windows standards than Microsoft itself. It's one of the great mysteries of the universe that they can't seem to write well behaved programs on their own platform.
This whole issue started for me back in 2002 with the introduction of Office 2003. And lately, I've been on a formats kick and noticed that Microsoft wrote their old date bug (1900/1904, leap year issue) into their OXML specs rather than fixing it in the spec and having Excel 2007 adjust the date properly! IT'S JUST SO DAMN AGGRAVATING, and you wonder how many brains it takes to justify all the ongoing problems some of their software suffers from. I like their new Expression Web product, but guess what, it starts slower than OpenOffice and makes you wonder what the heck they built in the thing to make it choke like that.

pfflyer is right in that IE7 mimicks a lot of Opera's behavior. I like Opera a lot because it's ultra-customizable, but its tab behavior — which is just like IE7's — is batty. I don't like chasing the extensions on Firefox, so I stick with Maxthon 1.5.9 until Maxthon 2.0 can get their tabs right.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yup, I'm a Maxthon lover too. I'm at 1.59 as well - I've run the betas for Maxthon 2 in the past but am not doing so at the moment.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I like Opera a lot because it's ultra-customizable, but its tab behavior — which is just like IE7's — is batty.
how do you mean, Zaine ?
Tom

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
huh, maxthon 1.59, i'm still using 1.58 - i just can't keep up.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
dudone: Website Watcher, 'buff said :D
- carpe noctem

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928089 and http://news.com.com/...44342.html?tag=st_lh

Have no idea if it will help but can say so much I dont severe problems and phishing disabled. Ive seen some Firefox users get cpu hogging problems with the "old" phishing filter from Google toolbar when set to active mode - all sites checked in real time, like IE7 before patch.