ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > UrlSnooper

Sniffing, but can't smell

<< < (6/7) > >>

mouser:
The reason i told you to go to sites youve never been to is that it's possible your browser could be cacheing results and thus not actually fetching them from the internet, which url snooper requires.

Your long essay on networking is appropriate -- as you say it's hard to know with the cable modems these days if traffic from other users is passing by you and exciting url snooper :)

rjam:
Ah!  I'd forgotten about the caching issue.  Will check that.

LOL!  Well, it doesn't take a cable modem for me to be aware of how much in life passes me by, without my realizing it.  And that's not even considering wireless routers.  I don't have wireless, so that shouldn't be an issue for urlsnooper tho.  Even if my neighbor townhouse has wireless, my pc doesn't receive wireless, only cable signal.

Nope, the narrow scan for "scan this computer only" does not receive any packets.
Even though a description at bottom of urlsnooper window says
  "Sniffing network traffic from WinPcap (then my network adapter name) (then)(IP 71.206.127.175.4.0.0.0"
   IP lookups says "No match found" for that IP number.
   Somtimes that line shows in the bottom of my urlsnooper window.
   Other times, same area in urlsnooper window only shows packets received & buffered, prior to stopping packets.

I've opened  http://www.di.fm/
Packets yes, urls no.

I've cleared the cache in my firefox browser just now.
packets still coming, no urls found

mouser:
ok i think that ip network is a clue that something is wrong.
the thing that is confusing me so much is how it can be seeing packets but not urls.
im going to re-enable a debug mode version and see if by looking at packets we can figure out what is going wrong.

question:
if you type http://www.c-span.org in the "Manual Scan a URL" box and hit "Download" button, does it then find some resulting urls?

rjam:
Holy catfish!  Yes!  urls all over the place!

But I encountered some forced variables.

1)  I was asked if I wanted to let urlsnooper connect to the internet.
     I guessed "Yes", contrary to my usual preference.

2)  I was asked if I would allow a cookie to be placed on my computer, for a 'better browsing experience'
        or words to that effect.
     Again, I guessed "Yes", contrary to my usual practice.

I think I had to do both of these, afer I entered the c-span url and clicked on the "download' button.

Well, you were puzzled before.

I'm the one who's puzzled now.

Why did this sudden change happen now?

Why didn't it happen before?

I guess I've changed so many variables, I may not be able to track down the specific one(s).

However I think it's a good problem to have.

It's like having too much money, can always give some away.l

btw, this is with "only scan this computer" turned on.

Progress!  Two nights in a row, no less!

rjam:
Okay, I tried the same technique for youtube's generic site.

Got a lot of urls instantly.  Over a hundred, tho not as many as from c-span site.

Closed urlsnooper and retried c-span.
This time I said NO to all requests, eg allow cookies.
Don't remember if it asked me to allow urlsnooper to connect to Internet again.
   but if it did, I said no.
urlsnooper did not receive packets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version