ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > UrlSnooper

Sniffing, but can't smell

(1/7) > >>

BBigJ:
I posted on the ROKU forums that the sniffer was not working for me, and it was suggested that I try URL snooper and post here if that didn't work.  It didn't and here I am.  Any help would be appreciated.  http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=62481#62481

Neither snooper was able to pick up my network card, and the roku version couldn't find my soundbridge.  I had to input both by hand.  When I start sniffing, it does see packets, but does not detect URLs.  I tried positive controls such as somafm.com and club977. When I set the "protocal filter" to "show all" it picked up two urls off a website I had open, but I was not actively looking at the window at the time.

I'm using an Abit mobo with the integrated Nvidia network adaptor and Nvidia firewall (I gave permission for the sniffers to get through).  I'm behind a pair of linksys routers on a cable connection.  What other info would help?

J

mouser:
well the fact that you said it found some urls once suggests that it's working.

let me just walk you through a test to make sure you're using it correctly, etc.

Start URL Snooper.
Go to Advancd mode, and set your network adapter manually in the General Options tab.
Now go back to Search tab, and check that your "Keyword Filter" edit box and "Also Search For" edit boxes are empty.
Set your Protocol Filter to "Show All", which should show you all urls found (not just streaming media ones).
Now click "Sniff Network" button.
Now the program is watching for network traffic.

Ok now GO TO YOUR WEB BROWSER (like firefox or internet explorer), and open up http://www.cspan.org
NOTE: do this in your normal WEB BROWSER, not using the built in "Manually scan a url" box.

If the program is working correctly, when the cspan page loads, you should see a couple hundred urls shown in the url snooper results list.

Some people don't realize that you have to visit the page in your browser while url snopper is running.
Let me know how that works with you.

BBigJ:
I went through the steps you describe, and still nothing.  When I put cspan in the manual scan box it works fine, though.  What should I try now?

I forgot to mention I'm using XPsp2.

mouser:
ok if its not finding anything when you search in your browser it means its not properly sniffing urls from your browser.

the manual download function just scans the web page and is not as good as scanning the network live from your regular browser.

what adapter have you selected? do you know what brand of network adapter you have?

BBigJ:
The network adaptor is
"NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adaptor Driver (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler)"

It is the integrated network adapter on my Abit AN8sli motherboard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version