ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Dialog Extender

Enhanced File Dialog

<< < (2/7) > >>

cranioscopical:
I uninstalled Enhanced Dialogs this morning... I'm a bit gutted about doing so BUT it has resoved two issues... -Darwin (October 07, 2007, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't it annoying when features that become nearly essential in most situations are the very ones that prohibit success in others?
(Or perhaps I should say isn't it annoying when we have to rely on older but practically irreplaceable software, though your issue with notepad makes me wonder about that.)

I never did try EFD as I didn't want the Object Desktop Suite.

The extenders I've used all cause issues with at least some programs. Has EFD no exclusion mechanism? I bet you'll miss that places-bar modification for a while.

Thanks for the update.

Darwin:
You're right - I am in places-bar modifiication withdrawal, but am surviving so far. I no longer have either Direct Folders or File-Ex installed on any machines and might dust their installers off to take them for a spin, as well.

EFD does have an exclusion mechanism but for whatever reason excluding the exe for the 16 bit app didn't do the trick. I suspect I needed to reboot for it to work... However, having been looking for some time for an excuse to deep six all Stardock software from my system, I seized the opportunity and did so! WRT notepad - it's actually metapad that was having the problem (I've replaced notepad on my system with metapad), which I use to open txt files for quick viewing (ultraedit for editing).

tomos:
I wonder is there anything else does the same job -
I'd love some thing like that (a la Darwins screenshot post #2)
I'd pay for it even :)

Darwin:
I wonder is there anything else does the same job -
I'd love some thing like that (a la Darwins screenshot post #2)
I'd pay for it even :)
-tomos (October 07, 2007, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, this is what makes having had to uninstall it so sad. However, as I noted above, I suspect strongly that if I were to reinstall it, exclude the 16 bit executable, reboot, and try again all would probably be well. The WORST thing about ED is that it's ONLY available as part of the Object Desktop suite and you can't download an installer for it (you have to use StarDock central). It's raining, I'm bored, and I've *just* created an image of my harddrive - I'm off to see if my hunch about ED is correct...

Darwin:
Nope. Installed it, rebooted (to activate it, despite this not being mentioned as necessary - it is!), re-excluded the exe files, rebooted and still no joy. Uninstalled and all was immediately well. Looks like I'll be with XFilesDialog for the foreseeable future...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version