topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Change Of Address "3"  (Read 14977 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Change Of Address "3"
« on: December 01, 2006, 06:52 PM »
Change Of Address (COA)

COA2 is from 2001, before XP. Does any of you know about another program, for XP??

- and if you don't, then: Is such a program to big a meal for code snacks??

---

"Description: COA2 lets you move a program to a new location without breaking it. (...) COA2 tracks down all references to the old address and replaces them with the new address. When the changes are complete, it presents you with a list of changes and gives you the option to undo any of them, if necessary. Note that COA2 does not actually move any files. It reports moves and name changes to the system. (...)"

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Change Of Address "3"
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 08:57 PM »
I have not used Application Mover, but I have used other programs by Funduc Software and they are all excellent programs that I recommend often.

Application Mover is a tool that relocates installed programs from one path to another on your hard disk. Application Mover takes files found in the path specified in the 'Current Path' field (see below) and moves them to the 'New Path' path. Application Mover scans the windows registry for references to files located in the 'Current' field and changes those references to the 'New' path. Application Mover also scans all windows shortcuts in the Start Menu and adjusts path references to the new program location. Finally, *.ini and Install.log files present in the original program path are checked for strings matching the old path location. If found, these strings are changed to the new location. Confirmation dialogs are available if you enable the 'Confirm changes' checkbox (see below). If a file is 'busy' and cannot be changed to the new location, a reboot prompt is offered. Pending changes are then completed after the reboot.

Application Mover is designed to move programs from one path to a different path on the same hard disk or to another hard disk on that same computer. The program works on specify paths (folders). For example, you can move: c:\prog\editor -> c:\oldstuff\edit or to a path on a different drive such d:\rare\editor. Application Mover is not intended to be a clone utility. Technical users can put the program to use in other ways but the standard functioning of Application Mover is that the physical drive arrangement & lettering should remain constant on your machine.

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 03:25 AM »
I think that there has been a similar thread here at DC about this.
I can't find it, though. But i believe the conclusions in general were that this is a dangerous process, that usually generates not-so-good results due to obscure registry entries and so.
Still, if you have no other option, the app that tinjaw suggested looks good.

Would you mind telling us why you'd like to move the app?
Because i know another way. If you created a soft link for the folder, it'd work as if the folder was in the place you'd like to move it and in the original place at the same time. This would allow you to have it working in another place. (i didn't exaplain myself very well :()

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 04:07 AM »

Would you mind telling us why you'd like to move the app?

Because i know another way. If you created a soft link for the folder, it'd work as if the folder was in the place you'd like to move it and in the original place at the same time. This would allow you to have it working in another place.

"Why?" Well, it all started when I installed the DjVuViewer from LizardTech. I told it to install in my (localized language) C:\Programmer , but someone at LizardTech never thought there is a world outside USA, so the program made a new directory, C:\Program Files.   I will not have such a mess on my PC, so the need for COA was born.

Forgive me for being such an ignorant, but what is a soft link?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 04:15 AM »
I have not used Application Mover, but I have used other programs by Funduc Software and they are all excellent programs that I recommend often.

Quote:
Application Mover is a tool that relocates installed programs from one path to another on your hard disk.

Thank you very much for this straight answer to my question :-)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 04:17 AM by Curt »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 04:34 AM »
Oh... Now i see. That has happened to me :(
I usually unninstall the program right away and remove the directory.. BAH, it isn't worth it!
Then you really only have that solution... A soft link would leave the original file, and create a link for it in another place, and it'd look exactly as if it was in the new place and at the original place at the same time (when you update one, the other one is updated too).
For a better explanation, look at this thread here at DC, or at this page at wikipedia.

Please don't forget to tell us how you succeded with the program tinjaw sugested! ;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 08:14 AM »
For a better explanation, look at this thread here at DC, or at this page at wikipedia.

Hmm.. Hard links and symbolic links... all new stuff to me - stuff I don't yet understand (if ever).

But as far I did understand the two links you gave: I could hard- or soft-link all the programs in All Users and move them to Current User, so these two folders would act like one folder??

Maybe a strange showcase, but I never could get LaunchBarCommander to work the way I want it to, so I have been thinking of exactly this way to make it happen; moving all programs to current- or all- users.

If I should do so, would I then choose hard- or soft- links?

- and where does this IT-analphabetic learn how to actually do it?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 11:05 AM »
Well...Starting by the end...

I use alax ntfs links, mentioned at the DC thread. It's quite simple to use, basically, it's drag-and-drop.

Now... About soft links and hard links.
[please someone correct me if i'm wrong]
Soft links work for folders. They allow you to have the same folder linked in 2 different places. This means you can have the contentc on "c:\one folder" inside "c:\another folder", and when you change something iniside one of them, you're actually also changing in the other one. There's a small quirk: when you delete the original folder (the one that isn't a link), the link has to be deleted too.
Hard links work for files. These allow you to have 2 links for the same file. This means you can have the exact same file in 2 places at the same time, and when you change one of them, you're also changing the other one. A file will disappear when all it's links are deleted.

These are useful in several situations. I use them mostly for keeping stuff easly accessible in my desktop, while keeping the files and folders in their correct tree organization.

In your situation, you could make soft links for each of the folders in "current user" to "all users" and so, they'd appear on both places at the same time.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 04:58 PM »

I use alax ntfs links, mentioned at the DC thread. It's quite simple to use, basically, it's drag-and-drop.

I decided to test the old HardLinker from december 2000; it seems to fill my simple needs. But someone really should test the far more advanced HardlinkShellExtension - it has been updated many times since May 1999 (last updated November 26th 2006!! version 2.300) and must surely be bugfree. I think it is too advanced for me, but it surely looks PRO. Download from bottom line of the page.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 07:47 PM »
That looks like a good app, Curt! I've added it to that thread i mentioned, in order to keep track of information ;)

I'm glad you solved your problem with hardlinks... I love them :D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 03:39 AM »
HardlinkShellExtension - it has been updated many times since May 1999 (last updated November 26th 2006!! version 2.300) and must surely be bugfree. I think it is too advanced for me, but it surely looks PRO. Download from bottom line of the page.

anyone know which version to use on XP:

Download Link Shell Extension for x86 (600k)

Download Link Shell Extension for x64 (600k)

thanks, tom
Tom
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 03:54 AM by tomos »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 04:28 AM »
Tomos: Both versions are for windows XP. The 'x86' and 'x64' refer to your processor. If you have a pentium I,II,III or IV, you're interested in the first option (x86).
If you have a 64bit processor (like the amd athlon 64), you should choose the second one.

Most probably, you're looking of the first one, x86 ;)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 10:29 AM »
Note: I e-mailed the author of COA2 (Neil Rubenking) about COA2 and XP and he replied that it isn't listed as compatible because XP wasn't released when COA2 was designed and tested. However, he notes that it works fine for him under XP.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 10:44 AM »
Note: I e-mailed the author of COA2 (Neil Rubenking)

it works fine for him under XP.
:up: - fine initiative!

I drive COA2 (and Win2K) and have never had any problems with COA2, though I have moved a lot of files, folders and programs. But on my old machine COA2 is  S L O W  - so I thought I would look for a replacement because I am hoping to get a new PC (with XP). But it is nice to know that COA2 will still work with XP. Thanks for that information!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 11:54 AM »
Most probably, you're looking of the first one, x86 ;)
thanks, jgpaiva!

Funny, I'm having the same problem with this as with alaxnftslinks:
i.e.,
that it doesn't work for images or vector files (has worked on various formats of text/document files)
(see also thread about cloning files)

In this case I can try contacting the author (unlike alax.info which I still can't access - at this stage I should say my computer is otherwise working very normally - :huh: :) )

has anyone else the same problem, or,
can anyone confirm that either of these programmes work for them for images or vector files ??
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 12:29 PM »
it doesn't work for images

can anyone confirm that either of these programmes work for them for images or vector files ??
I can confirm that I two minutes ago created hard links for a jpg and a gif pic, using HardlinkShellExtension.
No problems.

1) right-click the file, > Pick Link Source
2) in new destination: right-click > Drop Hard Link
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 12:34 PM by Curt »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 05:02 AM »
Bad news, tomos... Probably, there's something wrong on your side.
I can make hardlinks of .jpg files, and when i change one of them, the other one is also changed.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 05:22 AM »
I can confirm that I two minutes ago created hard links for a jpg and a gif pic, using HardlinkShellExtension.
No problems.

1) right-click the file, > Pick Link Source
2) in new destination: right-click > Drop Hard Link
I can create the link, but it doesnt work in terms of updating ..

Bad news, tomos... Probably, there's something wrong on your side.
I can make hardlinks of .jpg files, and when i change one of them, the other one is also changed.
okay, it updates  ( :( =me )
Would you be able to tell me what software you used (to modify the file) ?

I did email the author & got a very prompt reply where he said:
You were able to make hardlinks successfull, but once you open
a hardlinked file for *edit*, it depends on the editor associated
to the file, if the file either gets

a) opened, changed, the original deleted, and the new one saved
   ( ==> link broken )

b) opened, changed, and saved back
   ( ==> link alive )

I'll try out some other software & see if I'm successful with that, then again I specifically wanted to use it with the software I've already tried,  but, I'll try it anyways ..
[the rolling stone's song "You cant always get what you want" lurks in the back of my head ..   :-\ ]
Tom
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 05:25 AM by tomos »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 10:33 AM »
I am using alax's ntfs links.
It never failed me (at least, not that i have noticed).
I used paint.net to modify the jpg.