ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Change Of Address "3"

<< < (2/4) > >>

jgpaiva:
Oh... Now i see. That has happened to me :(
I usually unninstall the program right away and remove the directory.. BAH, it isn't worth it!
Then you really only have that solution... A soft link would leave the original file, and create a link for it in another place, and it'd look exactly as if it was in the new place and at the original place at the same time (when you update one, the other one is updated too).
For a better explanation, look at this thread here at DC, or at this page at wikipedia.

Please don't forget to tell us how you succeded with the program tinjaw sugested! ;)

Curt:
For a better explanation, look at this thread here at DC, or at this page at wikipedia.-jgpaiva (December 02, 2006, 04:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm.. Hard links and symbolic links... all new stuff to me - stuff I don't yet understand (if ever).

But as far I did understand the two links you gave: I could hard- or soft-link all the programs in All Users and move them to Current User, so these two folders would act like one folder??

Maybe a strange showcase, but I never could get LaunchBarCommander to work the way I want it to, so I have been thinking of exactly this way to make it happen; moving all programs to current- or all- users.

If I should do so, would I then choose hard- or soft- links?

- and where does this IT-analphabetic learn how to actually do it?

jgpaiva:
Well...Starting by the end...

I use alax ntfs links, mentioned at the DC thread. It's quite simple to use, basically, it's drag-and-drop.

Now... About soft links and hard links.
[please someone correct me if i'm wrong]
Soft links work for folders. They allow you to have the same folder linked in 2 different places. This means you can have the contentc on "c:\one folder" inside "c:\another folder", and when you change something iniside one of them, you're actually also changing in the other one. There's a small quirk: when you delete the original folder (the one that isn't a link), the link has to be deleted too.
Hard links work for files. These allow you to have 2 links for the same file. This means you can have the exact same file in 2 places at the same time, and when you change one of them, you're also changing the other one. A file will disappear when all it's links are deleted.

These are useful in several situations. I use them mostly for keeping stuff easly accessible in my desktop, while keeping the files and folders in their correct tree organization.

In your situation, you could make soft links for each of the folders in "current user" to "all users" and so, they'd appear on both places at the same time.

Curt:

I use alax ntfs links, mentioned at the DC thread. It's quite simple to use, basically, it's drag-and-drop.-jgpaiva (December 02, 2006, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

I decided to test the old HardLinker from december 2000; it seems to fill my simple needs. But someone really should test the far more advanced HardlinkShellExtension - it has been updated many times since May 1999 (last updated November 26th 2006!! version 2.300) and must surely be bugfree. I think it is too advanced for me, but it surely looks PRO. Download from bottom line of the page.

jgpaiva:
That looks like a good app, Curt! I've added it to that thread i mentioned, in order to keep track of information ;)

I'm glad you solved your problem with hardlinks... I love them :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version