ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Change Of Address "3"

(1/4) > >>

Curt:
Change Of Address (COA)

COA2 is from 2001, before XP. Does any of you know about another program, for XP??

- and if you don't, then: Is such a program to big a meal for code snacks??

---

"Description: COA2 lets you move a program to a new location without breaking it. (...) COA2 tracks down all references to the old address and replaces them with the new address. When the changes are complete, it presents you with a list of changes and gives you the option to undo any of them, if necessary. Note that COA2 does not actually move any files. It reports moves and name changes to the system. (...)"

tinjaw:
I have not used Application Mover, but I have used other programs by Funduc Software and they are all excellent programs that I recommend often.

Application Mover is a tool that relocates installed programs from one path to another on your hard disk. Application Mover takes files found in the path specified in the 'Current Path' field (see below) and moves them to the 'New Path' path. Application Mover scans the windows registry for references to files located in the 'Current' field and changes those references to the 'New' path. Application Mover also scans all windows shortcuts in the Start Menu and adjusts path references to the new program location. Finally, *.ini and Install.log files present in the original program path are checked for strings matching the old path location. If found, these strings are changed to the new location. Confirmation dialogs are available if you enable the 'Confirm changes' checkbox (see below). If a file is 'busy' and cannot be changed to the new location, a reboot prompt is offered. Pending changes are then completed after the reboot.

Application Mover is designed to move programs from one path to a different path on the same hard disk or to another hard disk on that same computer. The program works on specify paths (folders). For example, you can move: c:\prog\editor -> c:\oldstuff\edit or to a path on a different drive such d:\rare\editor. Application Mover is not intended to be a clone utility. Technical users can put the program to use in other ways but the standard functioning of Application Mover is that the physical drive arrangement & lettering should remain constant on your machine.
--- End quote ---

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

jgpaiva:
I think that there has been a similar thread here at DC about this.
I can't find it, though. But i believe the conclusions in general were that this is a dangerous process, that usually generates not-so-good results due to obscure registry entries and so.
Still, if you have no other option, the app that tinjaw suggested looks good.

Would you mind telling us why you'd like to move the app?
Because i know another way. If you created a soft link for the folder, it'd work as if the folder was in the place you'd like to move it and in the original place at the same time. This would allow you to have it working in another place. (i didn't exaplain myself very well :()

Curt:

Would you mind telling us why you'd like to move the app?

Because i know another way. If you created a soft link for the folder, it'd work as if the folder was in the place you'd like to move it and in the original place at the same time. This would allow you to have it working in another place. -jgpaiva (December 02, 2006, 03:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

"Why?" Well, it all started when I installed the DjVuViewer from LizardTech. I told it to install in my (localized language) C:\Programmer , but someone at LizardTech never thought there is a world outside USA, so the program made a new directory, C:\Program Files.   I will not have such a mess on my PC, so the need for COA was born.

Forgive me for being such an ignorant, but what is a soft link?

Curt:
I have not used Application Mover, but I have used other programs by Funduc Software and they are all excellent programs that I recommend often.

Quote:
Application Mover is a tool that relocates installed programs from one path to another on your hard disk. -tinjaw (December 01, 2006, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you very much for this straight answer to my question :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version