Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 25, 2014, 11:03:25 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Best Freeware FTP client?  (Read 11647 times)
Ruffnekk
Honorary Member

Uhm yeah...

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 01, 2006, 09:31:51 AM »

What do you guys think is the best freeware FTP client and why?

I just installed Filezilla but haven’t tested it yet.

Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 10:58:32 AM »

FileZilla Portable
gregheaton
Participant

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 11:08:35 AM »

yes, definately filezilla
Ruffnekk
Honorary Member

Uhm yeah...

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 01:35:48 PM »

Okay, well seems like I picked the right one, right away  cheesy Good to know Wink

Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 02:03:14 PM »

filezilla filezilla filezilla!!!

huh oh wait, its been said. DOH! huh

Strength in Knowledge
mitzevo
Supporting Member

Control is power

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 09:10:35 PM »

I tried FileZilla, had it instlaled for a few months, didn't really use it much.. Thought it was quite crappy compared to FlashFXP or SmartFTP, but it is open source so.. well so nothing. It sux. Interface especially.

Mind you I never really played with it or dug around in its options, etc.  Thmbsup huh I guess if I spend the time to configure it properly and get acquainted with its features I will probably like it..  Sad

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
Dr-Leech

Psychedelic Coder

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 01:06:38 AM »

I can't live without Filezilla..
I use always my text editor to update online content in Q&A servers, but when I need to manage files there I use filezilla.

imtrobin
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 01:34:46 PM »

www.smartftp.com
hamradio
Charter Honorary Member

Amateur Radio Guy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 08:23:19 PM »

I like FileZilla better than SmartFTP myself.  Guess it is where I liked CuteFTP's interface a long time ago and FileZilla had a similar one to that one.

Carroll - HamRadioUSA
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 08:25:43 PM »

FileZilla is my #1 choice! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
now, this thread has reminded me that i have to update this cool ftp program (currently beta2 of version3).. Wink

mitzevo
Supporting Member

Control is power

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 08:29:19 PM »

FlashFXP FTW!!  Grin smiley  huh

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
sri
Honorary Member

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 10:58:08 PM »

FlashFXP FTW!!  Grin smiley  huh

FlashFXP is #1 of course. But the original poster was asking about a _free_ program.

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 10:46:22 AM »

I am a filezilla lover too.  Thmbsup

hollowlife1987
Honorary Member

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 11:13:29 AM »

FileZilla all the way, I use both the client and the server smiley
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »

FileZilla has a really, really, really, really crappy interface and iirc a few bugs... but other than that, it's pretty cool: SSL support, multiple logins on a server (helps with speed-throttled servers), etc smiley

- carpe noctem
pfflyer
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 11:08:11 AM »

Filezilla.

While the interface could be prettier, I like for one main reason:

If something fails in a transfer, it holds it in queue and tries again.  Several other FTP clients simply end the transmission. What a pain in the butt when your installing a CMS system with tons of files and don't know where it left off. I have never had that happen with Filezilla.

I write and maintain Recommended Web Tools, a website for web development and design beginners. I write about a variety of web tools and am continually adding to my "recommended" list.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 07:59:30 PM »

yes, pfflyer. "Add to Queue" is a cool feature.. i always add files to queue first before uploading..

SchoolDaGeek
Supporting Member

WTF?

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 01:42:23 AM »

I'll throw a vote in for VUBrief 5.3.  Set it and forget it. Thmbsup  Plus it does so much more...

My Karma just ran over your Dogma.
KenR
Super
Blogger

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 09:03:55 PM »

After reviewing all the apps discussed here, I strongly agree with Imtrobin and believe that SmartFTP is "The Best" free FTP client is SmartFTP (free for personal use and educational settings - pay for commercial use). I was surprised to conclude this because I usually agree with the DC gang. However, other software sites and software distributors I reviewed consistently rated SmartFTP higher than FileZilla as well.

Ken

Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546
gjehle

lonesome linux warrior

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 04:10:41 PM »

graphical interfaces are overrated
ncftp ftw ;-)
Jammo the OrganizedFellow
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 02:10:23 PM »

... If something fails in a transfer, it holds it in queue and tries again.  Several other FTP clients simply end the transmission. What a pain in the butt when your installing a CMS system with tons of files and don't know where it left off. I have never had that happen with Filezilla.
no kidding?
dood, i been using this for a long time (switched from SmartFTP) and ive never known about the queue.

how do i activate it?
or is it on by default?
its great that it works, cause i didnt even know. hahaha.

As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____
mitzevo
Supporting Member

Control is power

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 04:16:33 AM »

Ok so I am now back with FileZilla again, this time with out the GUI comments  tongue I like it now that I have used it more than 3 times.. smiley

What about WinSCP?

Both FileZilla and WinSCP have SFTP support, some thing which FlashFXP does not have (my fav+ ftp client right now..)

huh

Edit: Actually WinSCP is pretty cool, a nice GUI, lot of functions, even Putty integrated.. I think I like it over FileZilla cheesy
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:31:28 AM by mitzevo » Logged

iphigenie
Supporting Member

curiosity FTW!

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 05:17:41 AM »

Trying to think about what ftp clients I used over the years.. quite a few are now no longer freeware   Sad

I used visicom's aceFTP (http://software.visicomme....com/en/productsfreeware/) (hated the cheesy sounds it makes but the tool is competent enough) and I have also used ftp commander (http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm) and coreftp (http://www.coreftp.com/) , and those two are still freeware. Or more precisely a freeware version of a shareware pro version. But for many needs they work well. I think my favorite was coreftp (and cuteftp but that is now quite pricey)

Nowadays i don't use much ftp, it's all scp/sftp (for which i use penguinet -paid for- and tunnelier -when on someone else's machine-) so when i need ftp i just use what comes with my file manager.

No tool I found for sftp/scp offers full directory comparison, so I am stuck using rsync. I wish one did. I noticed when getting the urls for those tools that many of them now do scp/sftp so i might have a peek at them again

PS: If you ever need to let someone non technical to upload/download a few files regularly from their windows machine, data freeway is quite cool, since it creates a folder within the normal windows interface for the target. That's not very special for ftp but this is one of the only dummy proof scp/sftp tools I know of (http://fileforum.betanews.../DataFreeway/1107503093/1)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:19:19 AM by iphigenie » Logged
allen
Charter Member