topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Compressing files into multiple .zip archives with each .zip being independent  (Read 140898 times)

jtdc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The added option worked great. :Thmbsup:

anthonyaykut

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

I just started to use this (wonderful) tool but I do have a specific requirement :) : when you compress files from a sub-directory structure like:

c:\users\test\zipfiles\1

the created zip also contains the above sub-directory structure.

I would like to have an option that enables me to create a zip file that strips all path info, leaving all the files in the "top-level".

Possible?

Thanks,
Anthony

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, Anthony, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :Thmbsup:  As to your request, unfortunately, I recall I had a reason (or a limitation) for doing it the current way but I don't remember why.  Hahaha...terrible, eh?  :-[

anthonyaykut

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, Anthony, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :Thmbsup:  As to your request, unfortunately, I recall I had a reason (or a limitation) for doing it the current way but I don't remember why.  Hahaha...terrible, eh?  :-[

LOL, it's not a problem :)

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have 3 great suggestions for spinzip

1)  I am using spinzip to recompress my karaoke cdg + mp3 collections and am running out of space on my HD.  Possible to add a "delete original item after processing" or something to that effect? It compresses the files in question and deletes it, then moves onto the next.  Obviously, this should be an optional checkmark, with another dialogue WARNING user about it

2) Include a "PAUSE" button

3) Instead of just "working..." in the bottom left, change it to "Working 5% ETA ________  Elapsed time _____)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:11 PM by stisev »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, stisev.

1)  I am using spinzip to recompress my karaoke cdg + mp3 collections and am running out of space on my HD.  Possible to add a "delete original item after processing" or something to that effect? It compresses the files in question and deletes it, then moves onto the next.  Obviously, this should be an optional checkmark, with another dialogue WARNING user about it

I really, really, really don't like deleting user's files unless they're files I've created within the program.

2) Include a "PAUSE" button

I'll consider this.

3) Instead of just "working..." in the bottom left, change it to "Working 5% ETA ________  Elapsed time _____)

Unfortunately, because SpinZip uses 7-zip.exe to do the grunt work, I have no idea how far along in a zipping operation it is.  I basically just have to wait for it to complete.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hey skwire,
Don't worry about deleting files. I found an app that does what I need it to do for my specific taks (MP3gtoolz).  Spinzip is still my tool of choice for all other projects. Saves me so much time :-)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sweet.  It's always nice when you can find a tool designed specifically for what you're doing.   :Thmbsup:

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
skwire,

Is there any chance you could create an option to use .7z format (7zip) to Spinzip?  If you don't want to pollute spinzip then maybe fork over another app called "Spin7zip"?  Pretty pretty please?!
  I have found for almost all applications .7z is far superior in compression to regular zip and it would be so darn useful and appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 08:12 PM by stisev »

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So I found out bandizip (portable version too!) has an option to do this for all compression formats. With that said, I am still very open to an option to have this work in spinzip as I like the interface better :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there any chance you could create an option to use .7z format (7zip) to Spinzip?  If you don't want to pollute spinzip then maybe fork over another app called "Spin7zip"?  Pretty pretty please?!
  I have found for almost all applications .7z is far superior in compression to regular zip and it would be so darn useful and appreciated.

I agree with you about 7zip's performance.  However, please see my comment on this post:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=6321.msg134581#msg134581

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi,
I just started to use this (wonderful) tool but I do have a specific requirement :) : when you compress files from a sub-directory structure like:
c:\users\test\zipfiles\1
the created zip also contains the above sub-directory structure.
I would like to have an option that enables me to create a zip file that strips all path info, leaving all the files in the "top-level".
Possible?
Thanks,
Anthony

Not sure whether this will be what you want, but:
STEP 1: If you use xplorer² (or a similarly flexible file management tool) it can give you a "flat file" view of all files in a set of nested directories.
STEP 2: You can then remove from that view any files you are not interested in. That leaves you with just the ones you are interested in.
STEP 3: You can then select them all and save them en bloc to a .ZIP archive sans folders/paths.

Alternative to STEP 2 and STEP 3: Select just those files you are interested in and save them en bloc to a .ZIP archive sans folders/paths.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I agree with you about 7zip's performance.  However, please see my comment on this post:

https://www.donation....msg134581#msg134581

No worries. If it was an easy add, I would've said go for it, but if it requires an entirely new build I would say focus your energies elsewhere.

Bandizip actually works pretty well and supports multiple formats. Too bad they don't support creation of RAR files.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Bandizip actually works pretty well and supports multiple formats. Too bad they don't support creation of RAR files.

Why would you want RAR? 7zip has superior compression and it's not proprietary.

THenrich

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to get spinzip to not include the full paths in the zip files?
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2016, 03:50 PM »
in Spinzip I specify the source folder name for zipping the files. When I open each generated zip, the folder path tree is in there. Is there a way to have the files off the root of the zip only?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to get spinzip to not include the full paths in the zip files?
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2016, 04:58 PM »
Skwire will probably see this query easier, if you re-pose it in his subforum (https://www.donation...ndex.php?board=298.0), or even the thread for the app (https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=6321.0).  It might happen when a mod sees this.