topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Compressing files into multiple .zip archives with each .zip being independent  (Read 140900 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Works amazing might i suggest new features now :)

Thanks for the compliment.

- Making the priority of spinzip higher than izarcc and izarcc's lower so the spinzip window doesn't freeze.

Well, it's not really a matter of process priority.  Moreso, it's a matter of the main form waiting for the zipping process to finish.  I made some internal changes that should alleviate most (if not all) of this behaviour.

- Cancel button of process.

Added.  From the changelog:

19 Mar 2008 - v0.0.9.0

* Changed up the code to make the main form more responsive while
      creating zips.  Thanks, ampedm.

* The "Generate" button now turns into a "Cancel" button while zips
      are being created.  Also, all controls except this button are now
      disabled while zip creation is going on.  Thanks, ampedm.

New link for v0.0.9.0:  http://skwire.dcmemb...p-setup-v0.0.9.0.exe

Please let me know how this version works out for you.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:09 AM by skwire »

ampedm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Works amazing might i suggest new features now :)

Thanks for the compliment.

- Making the priority of spinzip higher than izarcc and izarcc's lower so the spinzip window doesn't freeze.

Well, it's not really a matter of process priority.  Moreso, it's a matter of the main form waiting for the zipping process to finish.  I made some internal changes that should alleviate most (if not all) of this behaviour.

- Cancel button of process.

Added.  From the changelog:

19 Mar 2008 - v0.0.9.0

* Changed up the code to make the main form more responsive while
      creating zips.  Thanks, ampedm.

* The "Generate" button now turns into a "Cancel" button while zips
      are being created.  Also, all controls except this button are now
      disabled while zip creation is going on.  Thanks, ampedm.

New link for v0.0.9.0:  http://www.autohotke...p-setup-v0.0.9.0.exe

Please let me know how this version works out for you.  Thanks.

Nice Nice, it doesn't freeze anymore and i can cancel it. The file menu is also working so i can choose to exit.

Works pretty much perfectly, i don't know what else to add :D

Oh wait... how about minimizing to the system tray and removing the prog from the taskbar during generation of zip files? Bubbles would pop up saying "Compressing file [3/10] *SPACE* *NAME*" just throwing a thought out there...  8)

This might be a longshot but is it also possible to include a "comment file" ie txt etc... from a specific folder in EACH archive the program zips? I am saying its a longshot because that might not be supported by izarcc's command line.
I.e take "comment.txt" from C:/ while going through files in C:/myfiles and include it in every archive...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:59 AM by ampedm »

convert

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi, just a question but is it possible to zip subfolders within a folder instead of files into separate zip files?
eg
d:\folder\folder1
d:\folder\folder2
d:\folder\folder3
d:\folder\folder4

into

d:\folder\folder1.zip
d:\folder\folder2.zip
d:\folder\folder3.zip
d:\folder\folder4.zip

am i making sense?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Works pretty much perfectly, i don't know what else to add :D

Oh wait... how about minimizing to the system tray and removing the prog from the taskbar during generation of zip files? Bubbles would pop up saying "Compressing file [3/10] *SPACE* *NAME*" just throwing a thought out there...  8)

I'll give that some thought.

This might be a longshot but is it also possible to include a "comment file" ie txt etc... from a specific folder in EACH archive the program zips? I am saying its a longshot because that might not be supported by izarcc's command line.

That's the beauty of a front-end; you can make it do things that that cannot be done simply on the command-line.  I'll give this request some thought as well.  Thanks for the ideas.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi, just a question but is it possible to zip subfolders within a folder instead of files into separate zip files?

[...]

am i making sense?

Yep, perfect sense.  Wooo...a fourth output mode.  =]  I'll try to find time to add this in the near future.  This weekend is pretty much full...hockey tournament, daughter's birthday party, and who knows what else.  =]

DrLucky

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello skywire, awesome program!!! One of my favorites, it did most of what I wanted!

I was wondering if you could make a version and add .7z support? Like have an option between .zip and .7z.
Also, if you could have an "undo" program. SO that it will unzip all the zipped files in a master folder and delete the zip file. If I had to chose, though, I'd rather have the .7z support.

again, thanks for the great program!

Kris - DrLucky

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello skywire, awesome program!!! One of my favorites, it did most of what I wanted!

Thanks for the kind compliments.

I was wondering if you could make a version and add .7z support? Like have an option between .zip and .7z.

I had originally tried using the 7z binary for the backend but there were some things that it couldn't do easily (exactly what escapes me at the moment...it's been a while :) so that's why I switched over to the IZarc binary.  Unfortunately, the IZarc command-line binary cannot make 7z files (though the main IZarc application can).

Also, if you could have an "undo" program. SO that it will unzip all the zipped files in a master folder and delete the zip file. If I had to chose, though, I'd rather have the .7z support.

Hmmm...wouldn't that be the responsibility of your chosen compression program?  Most of the compression suites I've tried have that capability in their right-click menu.  For WinRAR, it's called "Extract here..." in the right-click menu and, for IZarc, it's called "Extract to..."  Each of these options pop up a dialog allowing you to choose where to extract all selected files.

again, thanks for the great program!

You're most welcome. =]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:52 AM by skwire »

DrLucky

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Hmmm...wouldn't that be the responsibility of your chosen compression program?  Most of the compression suites I've tried have that capability in their right-click menu.  For WinRAR, it's called "Extract here..." in the right-click menu and, for IZarc, it's called "Extract to..."  Each of these options pop up a dialog allowing you to choose where to extract all selected files.

yes, I know they can do that, but I have a Folder and file structure I zipped with spinzip with thousands of files and folders, it would take forever to go to each folder and extract all of the zips!

I was looking for a way to put in a master folder and have the program unzip all found zips(in a large maze of folders) and delete the zips afterward.

thanks!

Kris

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yes, I know they can do that, but I have a Folder and file structure I zipped with spinzip with thousands of files and folders, it would take forever to go to each folder and extract all of the zips!

I was looking for a way to put in a master folder and have the program unzip all found zips(in a large maze of folders) and delete the zips afterward.

Ah, I see.  There is a utility out there that does exactly that.  It's called Unziplify and you can find it here: http://www.silverbandsoftware.com/tabdown/unziplify/  You'll notice on the screenshot page that one of the options is "Search subfolders for archives to extract."

DrLucky

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
awesome! Thanks for the link!

oh, and let me know if you ever make a 7z version!

Kris

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had a report of the installer link not working so I updated it to point at my dcmembers.com webspace.  I'll also update the second post in the thread so people don't have to read through the whole thing to get to the latest installer.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just wanted chime in.  I am a lurker here but found your utility while googling for this solution.

skwire - god dammit, you are my hero today.  I have been looking for such a utility for a long, long time.  What's even better is that a) it's free b) portable! c) lightweight.

Feature suggestions: I know 7z is out of the question,  but can we get a .RAR option? :D
ZIP works for some things, RAR works for others!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm a hero?  Nice.  Thanks for your kind words.  :D  As for the RAR option, the reason I didn't use RAR intially is the WinRAR license prohibits me from distributing it.  Here's the excerpt from the WinRAR license:

5. The RAR/WinRAR unlicensed trial version may be freely distributed,
      with exceptions noted below, provided the distribution package is not
      modified in any way.

a.  No person or company may distribute separate parts of the package
          with the exception of the UnRAR components, without written
          permission of the copyright owner.

b.  The RAR/WinRAR unlicensed trial version may not be distributed
          inside of any other software package without written permission
          of the copyright owner.

c.  Hacks/cracks, keys or key generators may not be included on the
          same distribution.

I could write in the support, with the expectation that the user will provided the necessary files, but this is a kludge and inelegant at best. 

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I just skimmed through the entire 4 pages of this thread looking for an answer to the following question, but if it's there I must have missed it. Sorry.

Is there a particular reason why you switched from 7-zip to IZARC? The only reason I saw why you didn't use 7-zip was because one person said he had a client that wouldn't install 7-zip on their machine.

I have (for example) a 232 MB file and when I use SpinZip to compress it with maximum compression (9) it brings it down to 110MB (47% ratio), which is great, but with 7-zip (.7z) on Ultra compression it goes down to 89 MB (38% ratio). I know that 20MB isn't a lot, but if you're talking about 20MB * 100s of files, it can add up to be GBs in saved HDD space.

I would like to request at least an option to compress to the .7z format to take advantage of the better compression ration 7-zip offers.

EDIT: Naturally almost immediately after I posted I found the answer:

I had originally tried using the 7z binary for the backend but there were some things that it couldn't do easily (exactly what escapes me at the moment...it's been a while :) so that's why I switched over to the IZarc binary.  Unfortunately, the IZarc command-line binary cannot make 7z files (though the main IZarc application can).

Still, some part of me hopes that perhaps the 7z binary has improved in the past 3 years to make my request more likely of happening. :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:09 PM by Deozaan »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Still, some part of me hopes that perhaps the 7z binary has improved in the past 3 years to make my request more likely of happening.

I'll take a look, Deo, but don't hold your breath.  Hahahaha.   :P

jtdc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I installed spinzip on my winxpsp3 pc and when i used the following settings:

> scan subdirs
> 9 compression
> output mode by aprox. zip file size 20 megs

to zip a dir with many files and subs, spinzip pops up a window for each file it adds to the spanning zips to which i have to click ok for program continuation. if i don't click ok then it just waits indefinitely. This makes the process manual.

This behavior can't be right.

Also, i noticed that if any file is larger than the size limit set than the final zip file goes over the set limit.
if spinzip had an option that would allow it to skip such files and list them, spinzip could be be used more effectively for checking files on virustotal. Usually the large files are compressed files.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This behavior can't be right.

Definitely.  I must've compiled and uploaded the debug build when I attempted to add 7z support.  I'll fix it here in a minute.

Also, i noticed that if any file is larger than the size limit set than the final zip file goes over the set limit.
if spinzip had an option that would allow it to skip such files and list them, spinzip could be be used more effectively for checking files on virustotal. Usually the large files are compressed files.

Right...as mentioned previously, SpinZip does no sort of file sizing voodoo to try and make exact sized zips, hence, the word "approximate."   ;D

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Please redownload and try the new build.  Sorry about that and thanks for reporting it.  Rather embarrassing on my part.    :-[

jtdc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great, the new build works as it should...

Yes, i understand that the limit is approximate, but what about adding the option i mentioned ?
it would make the app great for virustotal use.

I am a coder and i could help coding that and other mods if you desire. Have you considered making the project open source (sourceforge.net) ?...

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If I understand you, you want something like:

[ ] Skip files larger than the set approximate size

Right?

jtdc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, but it should list all the skipped files so that one can process them manually.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, but it should list all the skipped files so that one can process them manually.

Would a text file report (of filepaths) be sufficient?

jtdc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've added this request to my ToDo.  Thanks for the feedback.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@jtdc:  Please let me know if the new option functions as you envisioned.  Thanks.

Website | Download
v1.0.5 - 2011-04-05
    + Added "Skip files larger than approximate size" option.  (Thanks, jtdc)

v1.0.4 - 2011-04-05
    ! Uploaded a new binary since the previous one was of a debug build.