topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 90% off Automise @ www.bitsdujour.com - looks like heavy stuff for Admin people  (Read 11599 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I took a look at this but it looks like it's for Administrator type activities. But at 90% discount, it may interest some of you heavy hitters. Certainly not for me.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
90% off - nice find  :up:

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I took a look at this but it looks like it's for Administrator type activities. But at 90% discount, it may interest some of you heavy hitters. Certainly not for me.
At this price it's in the "it's probably not for me but I'm tempted anyway" category. They aim it at IT pros, but it looks like the kind of automation tool that might also be useful to expert Windows users - including many people here. At a quick glance it looks like it might be described at "an AutoIt-like tool with a sexy GUI". Would that be accurate?

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That looks like such a good deal that I just bought it sight unseen.  :P

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I bought this, and it's great. It feels almost like an AutoHotKey GUI, but one that's missing some key features. For $20 I couldn't have asked for a better deal, and the task of automating complex projects becomes simple when you think about it in tree form.

Best of all, it comes with Action Studio, so you can write your own actions and scripts in VBscript or JavaScript. I am working on a set of actions that integrates a bunch of small AutoHotKey functions I've been creating. When the action pack is done I'll post it (and the scripts individually) on the 'net and give everyone a link incase they have Automise or want to use the functions.

Together I can do anything I can imagine so far. I've automated the individual backup processed in my programs, along with my BackUp4All 3 tasks and the burning of the important stuff to a blank DVD. I've automated the running of Windows Updates, VersionTracker Pro, World of Warcraft Updater, IGN Downloader, Neverwinter Nights 2 Updater, GameShadow, and Steam. I've also temporarily put my ModeSwitch AHK project on hold because it was simple to create several different "modes" which completely control the programs and services running on my computer both automatically based on the active program as well as manually to the mode I set.

I also have it automatically checking the WHOIS results of the domain names we register at several registrars and combining the results into a list of domains I need to renew. At 8:30 every M-F morning it runs an AutoHotKey function to start the TimeSage clock. I then use TimeSage throughout the day, and it automatically stops the timer at 5:00 when I leave, or as soon as the computer is idle if I'm still there (making it easy to account for the entire time I was at work with an accurate timesheet, without necessarily having to remember to start and stop the timer). Automise is to an Admin Tool as Oblivion is to an RPG. It's like dropping you into a big construction set where you can pretty much roam freely and do as you please. Only with Automise you only have to do it once, then you can just set a timer or click a button (then go back to playing Oblivion).

A little late for a rave review now since the deal happened a while ago, but I've been enthralled with figuring out various AHK actions to add, and various VBscript and JavaScript functions to create (I'm not fluent in either scripting language embarrassingly). I tell you, it's a little like being a kid again and getting that big 'ol Lego set you were drooling at in the store window, but you knew it was too expensive. $20 was nothin' compared to that!  :Thmbsup:

Ben
--
Ben M
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 11:05 PM by broken85 »

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, Ben, it's great to hear you are having so much fun with Automise.

It just makes the rest of us who are not the so heavy hitters drool at what we are missing.

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in  :D

Normally when I see software on the net over the $100 range, I can't even consider purchasing it seriously, so when I just happened to see how much BdJ marked it down, my jaw almost hit the ground. I snuck a purchase in at around 11:45 PM; I was almost out of breath by the time I submitted my order.

Anyone who hasn't done so should sign up for the Bits du Jour RSS feed at http://bitsdujour.com/blog2/wordpress/?feed=rss2 to avoid missing any future ridiculously-large discounts available!
(Which I am viewing thanks to the Great Software List's recommendation of FeedDemon)  :)

Ben
--
Ben M

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If anyone feels that they missed out the authors of Automise have sent me a 90% gift voucher as a thank you for taking advantage of the BDJ offer. The first reply to this message can have it. Please only reply if you intend to use it though as it is a single use code that must be redeemed before 13 Dec.

mhb

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • There is no life before coffee!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi markan,

I would really appreciate the voucher. Since I have to do a lot of the tasks Automise is able to do, it would be really helpful to me.

Thanks for the great offer...

Greetings...
   ...Marc
There's nothing new under the sun,
but there are lots of old things we don't know. (Ambrose Bierce)

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi

I have sent you a PM with my mail address in it.

Mark

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just noticed I got one of these as well. Is anybody else looking to buy Automise?

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So did I.  Send me a PM and we may be able to work something out.  It will have to be first in first served I guess.

Jeff

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No takers?

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would love to get the discount voucher if it is still available.

Thanks,
Carl

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Carl, could you please PM me an email address for you and I will forward the email I got.

Regards,

Jeff

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Carl, it closes today, US time, so we will have to move quick.

Jeff

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I sent it to you.  Let me know if you didn't get it.

Jeff