ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the longest filename possible in Nero?

<< < (2/2)

superboyac:
Thanks Mobysaurus, so I guess I don't have to worry about filename lengths if I use either the relaxed restrictions on ISO 9660:1999, or if I just use UDF mode.  When I used to burn mp3 CD's, I remember that I'd always have to cut down the filename.  I'm not going to do that anymore because I don't think any of those files (with path) approaches 200 characters.

To address the file system issue, I use Windows XP with NTFS.  I remember I used to check burning options to ensure maximum compatibility, but I don't do that anymore because I never use my systems on older OS's than my current one, and any future OS should inevitably be compatible with whatever I currently burn to.

Eóin:
Well that is a bit ambiguous.  Windows 1,2,3.1,95,98,ME,2K,XP,2003,Vista ?  FAT12,FAT16,FAT32,NTFS ?

Which one are you speaking of generically there?-mse-ron (November 28, 2006, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
:huh: I'd better bite my tongue on that one.

Not sure exactly what versions of Windows suffer from it as I only have access to XP at the mo. If you dig around the PSDK headers you'll find a "#define MAX_PATH 260" crops up in a number of places and I'm sure that limitation extends back to previous windows incarnations, though this post on the subject caught my interest as it suggests the limit wasn't always enforced to the full.

As an experiment anyone can run a quick test. Create a folder in C: or wherever and create a folder of 64 chars in length. Inside that put another, inside that another and finally one more giving 4 nested folders. The last will get truncated to 50 chars. Then fire up notepad and try to save a file with a name 8 chars or more (excluding the added ".txt").

f0dder:
With some quick tests (XP SP2 / NTFS), I wasn't able to create a folder with more than 244 chars in it's name (xPlorer^2 as well as cmd.exe) - might be a different story if you use the APIs directly, and use the unicode version... and perhaps you even have to do the "\\?\" prefix trick.

Also, inside the 244-char folder, I wasn't able to create a new folder, and the longest filename I was able to create was 11 bytes... that'd be 244 + 11 + 4 +1 bytes total (4 bytes for "C:\" and the "\" between path and filename, and 1 byte for the 0-trailer). Guess what that adds up to? :)

Notepad++ isn't able to open that file, by the way, heh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version