ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the longest filename possible in Nero?

(1/2) > >>

superboyac:
When burning a DVD in Nero, what is the maximum length of a filename possible?  I know there are a few options that can tweaked to get less restrictions on the filename.  Could someone describe the proper settings that will result in the longest filename possible?

i've heard that 255 characters is the longest possible for path+filename characters, but I don't remember where I got that information.

Wordzilla:
Go to "ISO" tab when you create a new compilation -

File System:  ISO 9660: 1999

Max. length of file name is 207 characters in this mode.

Also in the "relax restrictions" section, check "allow more than 255 characters in path".

These two combined will allow a max. of 255 + 207 characters for path+filename.

Wordzilla:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

UDF

Maximum filename length: 255 bytes
Maximum pathname length:  1023 bytes *

* This restriction might be lifted in newer versions.
--- End quote ---

Well, if you decide to burn DVD in UDF format instead of ISO.  :)

Eóin:
Windows itself has a max of just 260 characters :o

mse-ron:
Windows itself has a max of just 260 characters
--- End quote ---

Well that is a bit ambiguous.  Windows 1,2,3.1,95,98,ME,2K,XP,2003,Vista ?  FAT12,FAT16,FAT32,NTFS ?

Which one are you speaking of generically there?

NTFS supports up to 32,767 bytes for a path, with a limit of 255 Characters per each filename\foldername in the path till you reach 32,767 bytes.

Now if you're talking FAT12 / FAT16 then yes the OLD outdated DOS does have that limitation.  I would guess that all Windows versions running on FAT16 would also have that limitation.  Those on NTFS though do not.

The FAT32 does not appear to have a defined limit though one should not try to test this limit as you will find other software and drivers (even those included with the OS) will not support extremely long paths.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version