topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Winner of Veign's Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite Announced  (Read 36304 times)

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Winner of Veign's Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite Announced
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 03:23 PM »
I'm just glad you aren't stuck with Borland junk anymore now, mouser :)

:beerchug:   :beerchug:   :beerchug:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2006, 03:27 PM »
ps2. It might help to put things in perspective if you knew that I have been working my a** off recently to get us donated prizes for the game programming contest (vrgirl too!).  It is not fun work, in fact it is downright exhausting.  The C++ Builder contest was far more work than I expected, and frankly these contests may really be just more trouble than they are worth for a small site like ours.  And I don't get any of those prizes - I don't get anything but the satisfaction of having good stuff for people to win, and the satisfaction of knowing that the site improves and becomes a better place that more people will like and that people who are already here will like more (i hope).

I wouldn't dream of entering any contest or giveaway we have on the site; never have, never will.  If I had awarded the contest prize to myself I would expect everyone here to be furious, and rightly so.  Hope it's clear now that that's not what happened.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:30 PM by mouser »

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Given what mouser has said, there really is no need for my response as its just saying what has already been said.

One point about my choosing the winner.  I had never known it was Tinjaw who I had selected until mouser pointed it out to me.  I was focusing on the entrants and addressing them by email only.  So, the fact that a DC member was selected was just a coincidence.  Should add this too.  In my top 5 were people who had only wrote a line or two of text.  So it wasn't the length that mattered but what it conveyed.

I also want to say one thing.  I have spent my programming life putting the 'community' before my needs.  I have dedicated countless hours to newsgroups, developing software, asssisting other developers, and just trying to make other people better without worrying about what I get in return.  This was just another way to give back without worrying about lining my own pockets.

I hope people understand that mouser and myself did this with good intentions.

(mouser / DC and me / Veign are not working together in anyway.  I only know of him through these forums)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:34 PM by Veign »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 03:42 PM »
ps2. It might help to put things in perspective if you knew that I have been working my a** off recently to get us donated prizes for the game programming contest (vrgirl too!).  It is not fun work, in fact it is downright exhausting.  The C++ Builder contest was far more work than I expected, and frankly these contests may really be just more trouble than they are worth for a small site like ours.  And I don't get any of those prizes - I don't get anything but the satisfaction of having good stuff for people to win, and the satisfaction of knowing that the site improves and becomes a better place that more people will like and that people who are already here will like more (i hope).

I wouldn't dream of entering any contest or giveaway we have on the site; never have, never will.  If I had awarded the contest prize to myself I would expect everyone here to be furious, and rightly so.  Hope it's clear now that that's not what happened.

I appreciate the additional input.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:14 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 03:47 PM »
I also want to say one thing.  I have spent my programming life putting the 'community' before my needs.  I have dedicated countless hours to newsgroups, developing software, asssisting other developers, and just trying to make other people better without worrying about what I get in return.  This was just another way to give back without worrying about lining my own pockets.

I hope people understand that mouser and myself did this with good intentions.

(mouser / DC and me / Veign are not working together in anyway.  I only know of him through these forums)

I do have to admit that the effort that is being put into clarifying this situation is very helpful.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:17 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 03:56 PM »
repeating what i said in my reply above:

I think it's important to just reiterate one thing: We never planned on giving away the 2nd copy and the contest only ever described the one copy we were giving away.  The contest was always open to everyone and we gave away the one we intended to.  I
I did mention at the bottom of the post when i announced tinjaw as the winner that Veign decided to give away another copy - I shoudn't have done because it may have gotten people's hopes up that they might still win a bonus second copy.  I apologize for that.

I made a mistake of putting a teaser at the bottom of the post i made about who won the contest that veign decided to give another copy away.  It was a stupid thing to do because I guess I got some of you excited about winning it.  It was bad judgement and unfair to you guys. It was never part of the planned contest to give a 2nd copy of, it just came up and i got excited and mentioned it in my post. Perhaps at that point I should have just stuck to that no matter what..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:58 PM by mouser »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 03:57 PM »
Storm in a tea cup.

Had Mouser not been concerned with open communication he need never have posted here at all.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 04:03 PM »
What is clear is you now have the prize that all of us put in a bid for, regardless.

Quick reply: Although the teaser was put it never stated how it would be given away and it was never my intention to use the entrants I had.  This was what was discussed with Mouser, what to do with 2nd copy.  I had expressed concern to him using the existing entrants as that giveaway had concluded when a winner was selected.

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 04:03 PM »
Sometimes best intentions do not end up with results that satisfy everybody.

When you organize an event/contest, things may go awry, getting out of hand despite all your initial best wishes for the outcome, and you reluctantly end up with a subpar plan b or even plan c - this happens to the best of us:)

Calvin: having read and re-read your posts, I respect your opinion, but I don't think it's at all necessary to make a big federal case out of it. :)

- Anderson

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 04:15 PM »
Storm in a tea cup.

Had Mouser not been concerned with open communication he need never have posted here at all.
-cranioscopical (December 08, 2006, 03:57 PM)

A very valid point.  The fact that we are even having this discussion is evidence that no wrongdoing has been perpetrated.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:18 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 04:35 PM »
@Andersen - I really was not trying to make a federal anything.  I do; however, am very vocal when there "appears" that mis-doings are afoot.  I have never been able to allow corruption to go unchallenged and at times I have suffered for it.  C'est la vie!  The real issue here is that due to lack of understanding, events were perceived by myself that I evaluated would undermine the value of what I have known DC to possess.  My error.  I am also aware that your position in knowing Mouser longer than myself have a track record that provoked your concern.  I certainly do not fault you for that.  All is well.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:25 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
'Nuff said...
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 04:41 PM »
Ok, time for a closure to all this...

The whole issue presented itself because I had "perceived" what looked to me as corruption and greed, not to mention abuse of power.  In response I championed the cause of what I had come to care deeply about, ie., the "special" part that is DC.  This is to my credit, if there had actually been skullduggery.

I have to say that the very ones I saw as the villains turned out to be heroes after all.  The time and care with which Chris and Jessie have exerted to help me, a relative newbie to DC, understand not only their actions, but their intent is admirable.  In the end, it was they have been vindicated and I have shown myself a little quick on the trigger.  Lesson learned.

To any that have read through this thread, I must offer at least some apology and exhort you to increase your confidence in the value that Mouser has carved out of the grab bag of the Internet.

I am glad to be a part.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:35 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Sorry Calvin, and thanks for your understanding.   ;)   :up:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 04:44 PM »
Next on the agenda?

Spreading the word of the flying spaghetti monster! That's the hidden agenda of this site :)
- carpe noctem

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 04:48 PM »
Does that include flying spaghetti sauce?  I hope so, it will make a great sitcom skit!  :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:33 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 04:54 PM »
... along with the flying meatballs.   :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:34 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2006, 05:00 PM »
I have heard some things about VC that I am interested in taking a look.  I have thought about using an older version since it can be had pretty cheap.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:45 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2006, 05:02 PM »
Hehe :)

The point with VC2003 and newer is that it's pretty standards-compliant (unless you choose to use extensions), it generates good code, and you can even use it for custom OS development if you want to... So captured in the MS dungeon? Nah :)
- carpe noctem

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2006, 06:21 PM »
Thanks for the input.  It seems that you also take a great deal of care in coding "right."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:46 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 06:32 PM »
Well, I'm just glad I write at least relatively portable code: base code should enough to port to >=32bit platforms, GUI code hopelessly tied to windows, but not too compiler dependant... at least that's advantages of "regular C++" over borland C++ builder, VB, Delphi, ... (yeah yeah, the real world situation is a bit more grey than this white/black, but...)

Also, there's already a 'D' language - www.digitalmars.com :)
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2006, 06:49 PM »
if i'm writeing cross-platform portable c++ i normally use Dev-C++ or Codeblocks.
I've been using Codeblocks for my latest NANY app and I was pretty happy with it.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2006, 06:57 PM »
What compiler are you using?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:47 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2006, 06:57 PM »
A "D" language!  Who would have thought.  Thanks for the link.  I just wish I had the background you heavyweights have in order to make a intelligent evaluation.  In the meantime, I will press on with my TI99-4A. (Just kidding)  :P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:51 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2006, 08:32 AM »
Next on the agenda?

Spreading the word of the flying spaghetti monster! That's the hidden agenda of this site :)

Amen and pass the parmasan!

When you put up a prize worth $10k, everyone enters.  Whether they need it or not.

Yep. I entered. I didn't need it, but "wanted" it.

While I don't have a Team System license, I do have an MSDN Universal Subscription. (Which gives me a tonne of licenses.)

Looking at the results, I'd say that I'm happy that someone who needs it got it. (As I stated in my entry.)

I have no problems with how mouser runs things at all. I've donated software licenses to DC before and would do it again.

IF - and I stress IF - there was anything improper, the only result of it was good.

Mouser - if you want more licenses from me you have only to ask. DC's and your integrity is not in question - it's held with high esteem.

Cheers,

Ryan Smyth

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2006, 03:33 PM »
What compiler are you using?

when i use codeblocks or dev-c++ it's mingw32; i'm quite fond of it and also quite fond of testing cross-platform c++ code  on multiple compilers - you always discover something one compiler likes and others don't..