topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google Ads are gone from the site once more.. Confirmed  (Read 10440 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Google Ads are gone from the site once more.. Confirmed
« on: January 22, 2007, 10:00 AM »
Just an update to confirm that after a little over a week of trying google ads on the site we decided to remove them again, at least for another year.

The reason: They are not good.

To go into it a little more: They ugly up the site and give us back a few measly dollars per day in return for making us a walking billboard for other peoples businesses.

In truth the google ads are not all that unattractive and don't distract all that much from the site content - but it's kind of a dirty feeling to be having these ads up all over our site and then checking to see how much money google has mysteriously decided to give us at the end of the day.

Most of all, I think we can find a more creative way to use our own web space, in a way that we feel good about.  In addition to the CodyQuote boxes that have been up on the site for a while, we are going to be adding some new stuff like random program screenshots, and our own little site "banners", and other fun stuff.

And soon we will also show random little banners for supporting member web pages and projects (we won't be charging for this - we do not want to get into the advertising businesses), so we will have some rules about what we add links to.

Thanks for your support and patience during our experimentation.  Any further ideas are welcome.  :up:

-mouser
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:43 PM by mouser »

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Ads are gone from the site once more..
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 11:41 AM »
CodyQuote PRO is the way to go!  :-* :-* :-*

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 12:02 PM »
Err, crazy idea...

How about making a separate page inside DonationCoder, composed of Google Ads offers?

(I told you, it's just crazy)

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 12:08 PM »
You can't.  That would be againt the TOS of Google Adsense.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 12:14 PM »
I suppose there should be an obstacle...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 02:31 PM »
hehehe - i spoke too soon -
i got a phone call from google after i disabled them and in order to do some diagnostics we are going to re-enable the ads for a few more days..  stay tuned for a full report.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 05:28 PM »
Hm, phone call from google? DC must've generated some noticable traffic for them, then? :O
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Ads are gone from the site once more.. Or are they?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 02:24 AM »
Some info on the phone call for the curious:

The call was actually from a google ads person suggesting we put google ads on the site - they didn't seem aware that we had been trying it.  When I explained that we removed them because we didn't think the small amount of money raised from them made it worth while, the person was quite surprised at how little we were making from them and suggested that given our traffic (he had some alexa ratings for the site), we should be doing 5x to 10x better in terms of revenue.

I am very skeptical but figure it won't hurt to leave the ads up for another week and see if google has anything interesting to say.  It may just be that our visitors are not the ad-clicking types!

jjc

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • ClassroomToolkit
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:30 PM »
It seems to me that the Google(TM) ads are a function of what kind of audience the site attracts.

For example, my site is geared to attract teachers who are looking for free and Open Source support for their classrooms.

I place Google(TM) ads on the site, but down near the bottom of the page where they won't make the site look unprofessional. After about a year, the Google(TM) ads are making enough to about pay for the site's hosting fees.

Although I can't say how much the average click is worth, you can guess that it may take somewhere between 20 to 40 of them to add up to a piece of paper with George's picture on it. Although, once in a while, a much larger value surfaces. Of course, Google(TM) takes half.

The way that I position the ads, I hope that the links provide additional value for my visitors. But, since it takes a lot of visitors before one clicks on the Google(TM) ad, I can only hope that my site's content is so captivating that the visitors don't dare click and leave my site.

Why do the Google(TM) ads pay so little for my site?

Who is going to bid a lot for clicks from impoverished school teachers who are looking for free stuff?

You can also go to the Pay-per-Click sites and check what the bid is for the search terms. Most of the search terms for my site probably could be won for a bid of a nickle.

The people who claim to make money on Google(TM) AdSense look for terms with high bids, then make sites around those words. This seems like a shabby little scheme that professionals of most fields wouldn't want to be associated with.

This may suit people who want to sell diet pills and colon cleaners, but I believe that professionals want to avoid being associated with anything sleazy.

In the long run, I hope that Google(TM) figures out a way to filter out the fraud, and get back to the mission of identifying the most relevant information for people that use its search engine.

Right now, I suspect that Google(TM) thinks that those Pay-per-Click bidders are its customers. Wrong. Google's customers are people who are performing the searches. Sure, one group pays (and the other group is sometimes exploited), but the loyalty of both groups is one click away from jumping ship and hitching to a Google(TM) competitor if the searches fail to deliver.

For me, Google(TM) ads are like banner ads...I hardly see them on the Web page.

I have a GMail account, and though I know that there are ads on the page, I don't look at them. In a year or more, I have not clicked a single one. I don't have time to glance at a part of the page that has no value.

I understand the reluctance to place ads on the Donation Coder site. I think that removing the ads is a good move if the site is making enough to sustain itself because the site provides a real service.

If the site were in financial trouble, then the ads would be justified to keep the operation afloat.
How-to know, do, live, dream, teach...with insight and imagination.

Joseph Chmielewski, M.S., L.P.C.
Ctr. for Creative Learning and Therapy
210-885-8135

Originator/ Developer: Open Source for Educational Materials Project
http://www.classroomtoolkit.com
http://www.classroomtoolkit.net
[email protected]

http://www.dreams-insight.com
[email protected]

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 08:35 PM »
couldn't have said it better myself, jjc  :up:

blueice

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Thanks for your thoughtful decision.   :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Ads are gone from the site once more.. Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 05:47 PM »
Just cofirming they are gone.  Never heard back from google - they never did make any changes.

Just as well - I'm happy not to have to make a tough moral choice about the ad revenue.

It's far better that we get our money by making people happy when they get here, as opposed to getting paid to send people off site to the highest paying commercial advertisers.

ps. Thanks to everyone being supportive as we experimented - really made me feel good about the whole adventure :-* :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:50 PM by mouser »