topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bear Bottoms Freeware: A very nice high-quality software site  (Read 41690 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Although I am familiar with several freeware sites, I was not aware of this one. If you aren't either, you might want to check it out.

THE BEST OPEN SOURCE or FREEWARE PROGRAMS AVAILABLE TODAY

Freeware containing program purity (no cost, nags or bundled software) is most important first and foremost.

This site is designed to load fast and get to the point...freeware that stands out.  No ads, no requests for donations, simply a place to help set up free security compainion "suites," find good freeware, technical help, and interesting or helpful websites.   All program download links have been verified safe as much as possible.

I target programs that run on Microsoft Windows XP, though many of these programs are cross-platform.

I put my paw print paw on the Bear Ware award winners.  We could long debate the qualification of "the best" as it is used here.  Suffice it to define as a program that plays it's role very well, which could hardly be topped...but could be equaled. 

from alt.comp.freeware
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

bearbottoms

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bear Bottoms Freeware: A very nice high-quality software site
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 05:06 AM »
Greetings folks.  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from the Bear.  Thank you for noticing my website.  I have noticed DonationCoder a while back and list from their site on mine.  I also have a link back to DonationCoder on my links page, as this is one of the great places to get your software on the web.

There are not many authors of software so involved interactively with end-users and DonationCoder is truly an innovator.  :Thmbsup:

Bear

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 06:26 AM »
just wanted to say thanks to KenR for mentioning the above site and to bearbottoms for creating the list of freeware.

i've decided to replace the free version of Zone Alarm for bearbottom's recommended 'comodo personal firewall'. why? well, to me it looks like 'comodo' has pretty much every option you could want - even from a paid for software firewall. i especially like the ability to set port numbers (not available in the free version of zone alarm), and the detailed information that is displayed by 'comodo' when prompting you about new in/out connections - again port and ip numbers are displayed. AND further, it had the nice feature of telling me about 'safe' connections from software i had just installed - which makes me think this is and ideal firewall to recommend to someone with very little internet 'common sense'.

i think i'm also going to ditch my current free avast virus scanner and replace it with 'antivir' as avasts interface just does my head in (stupid skins). whilst avast has been good on one occasion about detecting a virus on my system, it's missed a couple of others so 'antivir' might serve me better other than it just having a cleaner interface.

another free program mentioned by bearbottoms is 'spyware terminator' which looks as good as anything out there that you have to pay for.

i've not provided any links as you'll find them over at bearbottoms website - i really think it's a good list of apps.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:25 PM »
Ken delivers again! Love the Bear Bottoms' layout and his recommendations. Thanks for sharing.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 06:49 PM »
Nice! Lots of interesting software to try & check!

Bye!

Silverstein

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 04:02 PM »
Although I am familiar with several freeware sites, I was not aware of this one. If you aren't either, you might want to check it out.

THE BEST OPEN SOURCE or FREEWARE PROGRAMS AVAILABLE TODAY

Freeware containing program purity (no cost, nags or bundled software) is most important first and foremost.

This site is designed to load fast and get to the point...freeware that stands out.  No ads, no requests for donations, simply a place to help set up free security compainion "suites," find good freeware, technical help, and interesting or helpful websites.   All program download links have been verified safe as much as possible.

I target programs that run on Microsoft Windows XP, though many of these programs are cross-platform.

I put my paw print paw on the Bear Ware award winners.  We could long debate the qualification of "the best" as it is used here.  Suffice it to define as a program that plays it's role very well, which could hardly be topped...but could be equaled. 

from alt.comp.freeware
Hi Ken, since you are from Baton Rouge, you will know about William "Bear Bottoms" and his cocaine smuggling background, the murder of his BIL Barry Seals. I find it strange that you would quote ACF where this issue with Bear Bottoms has been validated.

http://emporium.turn...P/ProRev/bottoms.htm

He claims to be a "freeware scientist and researcher", what he is is a fraud and a drug smuggler yet to once say "Sorry" for his participation.

http://www.serendipi...i/cia/cd/bb70529.htm

Next time you wish to promote a fellow Baton Rouger, find someone who is worth the trouble.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Next time you wish to promote a fellow Baton Rouger, find someone who is worth the trouble.

This site isn't about people's backgrounds, it's about exchanging information about computer software. To the extent that the referenced site is a worthwhile reference for software information (and it is), it is worth mentioning here.

No one here has said anything about the background of the site's creator. We're not advocating his views or condoning his actions; heck, no one had any way of knowing before you mentioned it. Assuming that your accusations are true, perhaps this web site is a hobby keeping its creator busy; to that extent, advocacy of it is a good thing for him and society as a whole.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 05:16 PM »
are we even sure this is the same person as mentioned in that article?

Silverstein

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 06:26 PM »
are we even sure this is the same person as mentioned in that article?
Absolutely positive. Admitted by the "freeware scientist" himself. He has been completely vetted and investigated by ACFers. Either "Bear" is a liar, a plagiarer or both.

BTW, he also stole his website design and used copyrighted materials until he was caught and exposed by ACF. Don't believe me? go to Google Groups and see what kind of ignoramus this guy is.

BEWARE OF BEARWARE!!

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 06:27 PM »
Very strange that Silverstein arrives here to draw attention to this thread more than two years after the most recent post. If he/she didn't want the site promoted, then why post in this forgotten thread at all?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 06:35 PM »
well if nothing else, it's interesting reading.
Silverstein can you point us to ACF threads on the issue (ACF=Alt.Comp.Freeware newsgroup for those who don't know).

Silverstein

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 06:45 PM »
well if nothing else, it's interesting reading.
Silverstein can you point us to ACF threads on the issue (ACF=Alt.Comp.Freeware newsgroup for those who don't know).
http://tinyurl.com/5s8mgx
This ought to do, search for yourself.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 06:45 PM »
Why do you care Silverstein?
How is it you know of bears site and dc?

And what is ACF?

edit-thanks for the ACF info mouser....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:48 PM by cmpm »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 06:48 PM »
When making accusations like this, you really ought to link to relevant posts. And people here generally aren't too fond of tinyurls, btw.
- carpe noctem

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Being from Louisiana is not a crime.
Why say what you said about KenR.

I spent 12 years in Lake Charles, does that make me an accomplice? And I never heard of what your accusations are till now.

Silverstein

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Very strange that Silverstein arrives here to draw attention to this thread more than two years after the most recent post. If he/she didn't want the site promoted, then why post in this forgotten thread at all?
If you think I am promoting his site, you need reading comprehension lessons. Been away at work, did a Google and found this post for the first time today on Donation Coders.

As I have said, read alt.comp.freeware or you can go to

http://tinyurl.com/6xgxg9

where you can get another perspective. Or

http://tinyurl.com/6xhcko

where he admits who he is.

Silverstein

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Why do you care Silverstein?
How is it you know of bears site and dc?
I own several companies that use contract coders, all of us are familiar with DC, it's fine reputation. I hate seeing it besmirched by association with slime.
[/quote]

Silverstein

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 06:58 PM »
When making accusations like this, you really ought to link to relevant posts. And people here generally aren't too fond of tinyurls, btw.
Then, if interested, go to Google Groups and search "bear bottoms" seals. Google Groups puts out very long URLs hence the use of abbreviated ones.

Silverstein

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 07:00 PM »
Btw, for those who might wish to question my technical capabilities, search on alt.privacy where I have posted using my real name for years.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 07:02 PM »
Perhaps you should do a background check on me buddy.
Or the rest of dcer's who are here for the love of software.

This isn't about people's crimes until it affects the software promoted or mentioned or used by others.

Pardon me for butting in mouser.

Links are not saying anything that YOU know for a fact.

Anyone can say anything about anyone ALMOST anywhere on the web.

Silverstein

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 07:03 PM »
Being from Louisiana is not a crime.
Why say what you said about KenR.

I spent 12 years in Lake Charles, does that make me an accomplice? And I never heard of what your accusations are till now.
Never said being from LA a crime, I attended school (Tulane) there, fished there, worked there on barcode programs right through Katrina/Rita. The fact that you have not heard about William "Bear Bottoms" and his career as a paid drug and guns smuggler is not my issue. It is clearly open reading.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 07:04 PM »
Mouser, I request that you lock this thread. There is absolutely nothing positive that can come from it.

DC is about computer software and related topics. The background of people whose websites are mentioned here is not in our purview. We're usually pretty lenient about being off-topic, but in this case, where can the discussion possibly lead that helps us at all?

(I am not in any way associated with bear bottoms nor Mr. Silverstein)

Silverstein

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 07:05 PM »
Perhaps you should do a background check on me buddy.
Or the rest of dcer's who are here for the love of software.

This isn't about people's crimes until it affects the software promoted or mentioned or used by others.

Pardon me for butting in mouser.

Links are not saying anything that YOU know for a fact.

Anyone can say anything about anyone ALMOST anywhere on the web.
So when Bear Bottoms admits to being Barry Seals BIL, and a drug smuggler, he is an atrocious, unbelievably gifted liar. OK, works for me.

Silverstein

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 07:12 PM »
Mouser, I request that you lock this thread. There is absolutely nothing positive that can come from it.

DC is about computer software and related topics. The background of people whose websites are mentioned here is not in our purview. We're usually pretty lenient about being off-topic, but in this case, where can the discussion possibly lead that helps us at all?

(I am not in any way associated with bear bottoms nor Mr. Silverstein)
DC's reputation is associated with the validity of its posts, is it not? With the quality of its coders and those who post here, yes? This thread is well on-topic, I believe.

You don't seem to understand that not only is Bear Bottoms an admitted thug, a cocaine smuggler og the highest magnitude, he also claims to be a software security expert. People who see his website, people who surf inot alt.comp.freewarw, many of those must have the highest levels of free, secure software. yet this dolt, more times than can be counted, has offered crapware. Crapware that he claims to have "tested", and has not. This endangers peoples very lives, their careers, their families and their children.

True to the drug smuggler's ethics, he doesn't care. Especially about the kids.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 07:16 PM »
Silverstein,

I think one of the main issues here is that you're new here, coming in guns ablaze in an attempt to tell everyone how terrible "Bear" Bottoms is by reviving a 2 year old thread everybody has forgotten about (and my guess is that most people didn't even know about), linking to websites that either result in 404 or are just newsgroup conversations where anybody can say anything (i.e. they have no substance), much like you and I can have this conversation here.

I'm not saying that you're lying, or that "Bear" is a saint. But what's the point in digging up a two year old thread that has been long forgotten, and in such an inflammatory manner?