ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another alt.comp.freeware post on donationcoder.com, for your consideration

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
There's another controversial post about donationcoder.com on alt.comp.freeware newsgroup again;
i've already replied to it in case you are curious:

Read the alt.comp.freeware thread..

> DonationCoder is just more up-front about encouraging you to donate, but
> still allows you to use the software for free if you really want to.
To say that "DonationCoder is just more up-front about encouraging you
to donate" qualifies as one of the top ten understatements of the year
that I've seen in ACF.
--- End quote ---

If you want to add your thoughts (and i welcome that), please remember to be courteous and considerate and respectfull and reasonable, etc., so readers know the spirit of this site and how we keep things friendly and respectfull.  :up:

mouser:
For the record, older posts on alt.comp.freeware in similar vein:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=3651.0
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1756.0

Carol Haynes:
Personally I don't think there is much point getting into a discussion on that forum. I have been a lurker there (and occasional poster) for a few years and the main feeling of the group is the rabidly selfish definition of freeware which prevails. If you try and discuss any other form of distribution method you just end up with flame wars which serves no one.

Just my personal 2p worth.

mrainey:
I scan the alt.comp.freeware posts once or twice every day - what Carol says is absolutely true.  Don't waste your breath on them.

Veign:
I'm with Carol. 

I have watched threads and it seems that the die-hards want their cake and eat it too.  They have ripped apart applications because there were too many ads on a site (no popups and no nags in the software).  They basically want only applications where it is free and high quality.  The actually didn't like an application of mine that was in a wizard style and the first step was 'if you like it donate'.  No other limitations or nags and once donated you got a code that skipped that step.

You would be far more productive arguing with a brick wall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version