topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Windows Shell Add-on/Hack To Enable Regular Expressions Support.  (Read 4423 times)

logic7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes it's me again, the one obsessed with Regular Expressions.  :)

This would certainly increase productivity and usability of Windows if it suddenly supported Regular Expressions.

Donations, more than just the ones that I have in my profile are available for the proper implementaion of this idea.

Thank you.

tmpusr

• Joined in 2005
  • Instantiation stuck in meatspace with no backup
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What are the primary benefits you envision? What kind of interface would you prefer? What kinds of tasks would you perform?

logic7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What are the primary benefits you envision? What kind of interface would you prefer? What kinds of tasks would you perform?

If it is a shell plug in or add-on, then all software that rely on Windows Shell will benefit from it.

For example, file search, rename, mass rename, delete, mass delete, select, mass select, .....etc.
Instead of using wild cards, regular expressions are far more superior and productive.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well.. I love regex. Seriously, i do. When renaming more than 3 files, i often use regex rename. And i'd love having it system-wide, but... Don't you think this isn't exactly in line with a coding snack? Maybe taking it a bit too far?

The way i've delt with this is using alternative explorers like XYplorer, which feature regex rename, regex delete, regex select, regex find, etc.