ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Computer cleanup/maintenance manual for newbies

(1/1)

superboyac:
Most of you here are pretty "good" with computers, and I'm sure you run into the same things that i do.  There are always family and friends around you that approach with computer problems about various issues, worded like:
--"My internet is slow"
--"My computer is crashing a lot."
--"It takes forever to boot up"
--"I need more RAM"

Anyway, 90% of the time (in my experience) most of these comments all boil down to having a computer just full of spyware, malware, lots of useless startup processes, etc.  Nothing too serious.  Usually, all it takes to fix the problem is make sure they have a good antivirus program running, run a couple of the free spyware cleaners (Spybot, Ad-Aware, CCleaner, etc.), remove unnecessary startup processes (realplayer, quicktime, aol crap, etc), and the computer is usually running fine after that.

I was thinking that it would be good for the world out there if we put together a nice-looking, easy to follow "manual" that goes through the steps of how to clean up the crap on your computer.  I'm not saying it will be comprehensive, but like I said, it should solve most of the common problems inexperienced users run into.  What do you guys say?

Or maybe something like this already exists out there, but I bet our DC community can do it better :)

AdIyhc:
This is a great idea. I hope to see this manual too.

Lashiec:
Go for it. Not that I would need it, but it would very useful to those not exactly experts about computing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version