topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Drag and Drop saving  (Read 3811 times)

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Drag and Drop saving
« on: November 25, 2006, 03:04 PM »
I rarely the Open File option in programs; I just open files by clicking on them or dragging them onto the application window. I just wish Save As was as simple. each time I do this, the program seems to offer to save in a different obscure directory that I may or may not have used before.  >:(

I WANT to either be able to specify in advance where to save all files- the directory in which I am currently working, or else just automatically save everything in the same out-tray and let me use a proper two-pane file manager to sort out where it needs to go later. (Does this connect to the Desktop Teleporter?)

ROX has the right idea: http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/about_rox

For example, imagine that you're producing a report. All the resources you're using are in /home/fred/Work/July/Report. You create images in one program, graphs in another, and write the text in a third program. Every time you want to save you have to renavigate to the directory using that program's mini-filer (each one is slightly different, of course). This is annoying! With DND saving you could just keep the directory open and drag files into it from each application. This has the additional advantage that after you've saved an image from the Gimp you already have the directory open ready to drag the image straight into Lyx. Assuming that both programs supported DND.

But that is a unix filer. Any ideas of how to get the same effect in XP?
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Drag and Drop saving
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 03:07 PM »
many of us get mad at the save dialog not starting out where we want it.

for me, the best solution is a dialog box extender.  See our recent review here:

https://www.donation...Extenders/index.html

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Drag and Drop saving
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 03:01 PM »
many of us get mad at the save dialog not starting out where we want it.

for me, the best solution is a dialog box extender.  See our recent review here:

https://www.donation...Extenders/index.html

I noticed that just after I posted.  :(

Thinking about it some more, that's not what I actually need.

I think there is a useful distinction to be drawn between working directories and storage directories. A working directory has access to all the tools you need for a particular task, any document in that area that you are currently working on and, ideally, nothing else.  A workbench rather than a cabinet.

I only need to create files in a working directory, and every time I save one, it will be saved in the same directory until I am finished working on it and file it away elsewhere.

Hmm... The open/save dialog only annoys when you're dealing with files that haven't been located yet.  Put a resource file in your working directory, open it (and therefore the associated program) change and save - no problem. Just like ROX, but the drag and drop happens before you open, not after you save.

Could a FARR alias find a file, copy it to a working directory and launch it from there?

If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.