topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What's your Favorite Recent Computer Game, and Why?  (Read 11974 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
What's your Favorite Recent Computer Game, and Why?
« on: November 14, 2006, 07:34 PM »
I think it's time for a thread on our favorite computer games..  Even those of us who don't play computer games very often, it can be a fun to take a little break.

So, what's your favorite computer game you've played in the last couple of years?

I like the GTA and Hitman series of games, but recently I tried out "Sniper Elite" which I'm really enjoying.  It's basically a first-person stealth/sniper game, and for those of you who enjoy the occasional sniper aspects of normal first person games, this will be heaven for you, all sniping, all the time.  Done really well and extremely satisfying.  Has an amazing slow motion bullet-cam effect too.  big thumbs up from me if you like this kind of game.

Screenshot - 11_14_2006 , 7_33_53 PM_thumb.png

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your Favorite Recent Computer Game, and Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:10 PM »
My favorite is Crusader Kings from Paradox.
Though the game is rather old, it is great for roleplaying.
I like having a court full of inbreds. :D

http://www.paradoxpl....com/othertitles.asp

Another game from Paradox that impress me is Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday. It's a WW2 game and there're so many ways to start the game.

Great if you like roleplaying with historical elements.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 12:35 AM »
My favorite is probably the flash mmorpg Dofus -- mmo's inherently have more replay value than any other kind of game.

That aside, I too am a big fan of the Hitman series--the latest installment is brilliant.  The Metroid Prime series for GameCube is a great new take on the metroid series as well.

My favorite new standalone game to date, admittedly a year or two old now, is Killer 7.  It's refreshingly different, albeit potentially socking/disturbing.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 01:17 AM »
I love puzzle games.  :-*

I also like competing when I play. The problem with most of the games I have, is that I am too good at them to compete with other members of my family.

Lexicon is the exception.  It's like Scrabble.

It's one of the few things on a pc that my husband can actually handle. He's not too bad at it either.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 01:19 AM »
Half-Life 2 : superb realization, difficulty well managed

Quake III : very intense, less time spent on it !
.merle1.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 01:20 AM by MerleOne »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 01:26 AM »
Recent? I haven't been too impressed with recent PC games. I'm waiting for Spore to be the next big thing on PC.

I really like World of Warcraft (but that came out in 2004 if I'm not mistaken) but there seems to be a fundamental flaw with MMOs that keeps me from staying interested in them for long, so I've quit WoW. The game I've enjoyed the most that has come out this year for PC would have to be The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Why? It's like a medieval Grand Theft Auto except you can actually do good things as well as bad things. Totally open gameplay. You don't need to do the main storyline. You can go around and kill just about anybody (if you wanted to) or steal just about anything (if you wanted to) or you can obey the law and still enjoy the game. I've played the game for probably a cumulative of over 120 hours and have barely touched the main storyline. It's fun! And everything I didn't like about The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is fixed in Oblivion.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 02:55 AM by Deozaan »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 01:29 AM »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 02:01 AM »
Define recent... Four years in Korea left me a StarCraft nut (1995?) and I love the three Combat Fligth Simulators by Microsoft (last one released in 2003).

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 02:55 AM »
Haven't played any recent-recent games, but the fairly recent games that I've played which meant most, must be...

Half-Life 2 + Episode 1. 'nuff said.
Thief 3: Deadly Shadows. First person sneaker, lockpicking, pickpocketing & blackjacking :D, inside missions, outside missions, immensive plot, wonderful graphics, ... has it all!
528587_20040212_screen002.jpgWhat's your Favorite Recent Computer Game, and Why?
World Of Warcraft. It's fairly stupid "kill everything that moves" and a lot of repetitive stuff, but there's something about the graphics and interaction that's nice. Not playing it anymore, though. Too scary seeing friends getting really addicted.
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 05:39 AM »
half-life 2 + episode 1: bestest game ever and will remain so until half-life 3 arrives - or maybe crysis.

F.E.A.R + extraction point: makes slow motion death enjoyable again.

flatout 2: 'fun' racing and destruction.

tried the new hitman - couldn't do level 2 so gave up. might try sniper elite again, gave up very early with it last time - same applies to theif 3.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 06:35 AM »
tried the new hitman - couldn't do level 2 so gave up. might try sniper elite again, gave up very early with it last time - same applies to theif 3.

Silent Assasin every level on normal and the next difficulty up. I'm so sneaky :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 08:22 AM »
Counter-Strike 1.6!! :D
There's no game that provides me more fun that that, that's why it's the only game i own and ever bought. (well... 14€ at the time for the game was quite a good deal ;)). Also, it currently has the best price ever: 10€.. eheh

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 08:34 AM »
Haven't played too many games myself recently, between college and programming I don't get too much time for gaming. Bought Battlefield 2142 which I really like and havn't even played it online yet. Trackmania 2 kept me occupied for a long while, mainly just the puzzle mode though.

Going back further then the stand out game would be Homeworld 2.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 10:03 AM »

Silent Assasin every level on normal and the next difficulty up. I'm so sneaky :)

yeah, yeah, yeah. well, i've been through half-life 2 and F.E.A.R several times on every difficulty setting so i'm obviously a natural when it comes to shooting aliens and moving incredibly slooooooooooowly.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Define recent... Four years in Korea left me a StarCraft nut (1995?) and I love the three Combat Fligth Simulators by Microsoft (last one released in 2003).

I still play StarCraft. Spent a few all-nighters with my room mate recently. Fun stuff.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 04:04 PM »
Battlefield 2. I am a huge fan. You can view my stats page here

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 12:32 PM »
I think I would choose between Deus EX, Max Payne and my beloved The Longest Journey... I might miss one or two, but I have a somewhat big collection and it's difficult to choose at least three ;)