topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Computer cleanup/maintenance manual for newbies  (Read 3445 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Computer cleanup/maintenance manual for newbies
« on: November 17, 2006, 05:29 PM »
Most of you here are pretty "good" with computers, and I'm sure you run into the same things that i do.  There are always family and friends around you that approach with computer problems about various issues, worded like:
--"My internet is slow"
--"My computer is crashing a lot."
--"It takes forever to boot up"
--"I need more RAM"

Anyway, 90% of the time (in my experience) most of these comments all boil down to having a computer just full of spyware, malware, lots of useless startup processes, etc.  Nothing too serious.  Usually, all it takes to fix the problem is make sure they have a good antivirus program running, run a couple of the free spyware cleaners (Spybot, Ad-Aware, CCleaner, etc.), remove unnecessary startup processes (realplayer, quicktime, aol crap, etc), and the computer is usually running fine after that.

I was thinking that it would be good for the world out there if we put together a nice-looking, easy to follow "manual" that goes through the steps of how to clean up the crap on your computer.  I'm not saying it will be comprehensive, but like I said, it should solve most of the common problems inexperienced users run into.  What do you guys say?

Or maybe something like this already exists out there, but I bet our DC community can do it better :)

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Computer cleanup/maintenance manual for newbies
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 06:24 PM »
This is a great idea. I hope to see this manual too.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Computer cleanup/maintenance manual for newbies
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 04:41 AM »
Go for it. Not that I would need it, but it would very useful to those not exactly experts about computing