topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New User Process Tamer / some questions  (Read 5176 times)

PitrPaulus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
New User Process Tamer / some questions
« on: November 12, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Hello Mouser, A few days ago I read in the D.C.-newsletter something about Process Tamer. Till that time I had only heard of 'CPU'-usage, not more. I installed and configured now my most important and more unimportant programs. Everything works fine.
This is a good way of getting more knowledge what you're PC is really doing.

Am I right that with Process Tamer you can have priority with programs over other programs?

A question: my AVG-virus scan and also Spyware-Doctor scan I set 'Low', so that Firefox and (Incredi)Mail should run faster. The above mentioned scans have less priority so I think they go any slower (I would expect that). Is that right? (The scaningtimeis

Is 'REALTIME'  the fastest possiblity for a program or do I have to set it 'HIGH'?
Is it preferable to set no-too-much programs in 'High'?

Thanks so far. I still use your Screenshot Captor very often. Also a nice program!
Greetings from PitrPaulus.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: New User Process Tamer / some questions
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 02:08 PM »
your basic statements are correct.
however some clarification:
there should probably be a warning against setting anything to Realtime - this is an extremely high priority and it's hard to imagine cases where you should set anything to this level - it could make your other programs almost unresponsive and MS advises against using it.  there is little reason to run things realtime priority.

even high priority is probably unnesc, except maybe for cd burning apps on a slow pc.

most of the time its sufficient to run things at normal and low, reserving low priority for apps that eat too much cpu and make your pc unresponsive.

--

you could set those scanners to low priority (assuming they will stay low; some people have experienced situations where certain of the system level scanners dont seem to be amenable to priority changing).  but be careful that you dont change the priority to low of a resident on-access scanner, because that might have the effect of slowing down every file access i think..