topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Automated Builds for Visual Basic 6  (Read 11273 times)

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Automated Builds for Visual Basic 6
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:00 PM »
Does anyone know of any good tools for Automating builds of Visual basic 6 projects? I have 16 activeX dlls that are a plugin to a CAD package so they have no exe and I don't control the CAD package. Quite frequently the CAD package breaks binary compatibility and therefore breaks my program. I then have to rebuild each program manually, breaking compatibility and making sure that all the references are pointing to the correct versions.

I would be looking for a command line utility that I could pass the name of the project and it would scan the project, change references if appropriate and break (and re-establish) binary compatibility when necessary.

Is there such a tool?

Thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Automated Builds for Visual Basic 6
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 12:22 PM »

Booma-Booma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 02:06 PM »
maybe Visual Build Pro: http://www.kinook.co...dPro/thirdparty.html
or Final Builder: http://www.finalbuil...om/finalbuilder.aspx

I downloaded Visual Build Pro. It works exactly the way I want a build tool to work! It even supports subversion and inno! mouser thanks for the tip.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:20 PM »
As a developer, I understand both of these programs are more than worth their respective prices.

However...  :P

My pocketbook isn't as understanding as I would like it to be these days.   :down:

I was wondering if anybody knew of any FOSS alternatives for this type of GUI-driven tool?

I'd kill for an eclipse project to take on this type of tool.  :up:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Automated Builds for Visual Basic 6 (Visual Build Pro)
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 01:33 AM »
Sorry for raising this thread from the dead, but if anyone is still potentially in the market for one of these tools, Visual Build Pro is going to be on BitDuJour in about a week (May 12, 2009).

It's still going to be a fair bit of cash compared to most software discussed on DC - $120 - but that's a hefty discount off the normal $300 price.

r0bertdenir0

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 02:27 AM »
tinjaw I don't know how yr situation applies 2 the original question, but going on the original issue of linking to a CAD program that frequently breaks binary compatibility & forcing a recompile...
Why not use late binding instead?
In that situation what I would try is 2 create the project as normal, linking to type libraries & such so that you get the full benefit of intellisense.
When everything is working, change yr strongly typed references to the 3rd party library with Variants or Objects.
Also replace all uses of the NEW operator with CreateObject & remove the project references to those controls or dlls.
You only need to do this for 3rd party objects that might break binary compatibilty.
Also keep in mind the Add Components dialog which has a checkbox to "REMOVE INFO ABOUT UNUSED ACTIVEX CONTROLS" - you may need to check/uncheck that (I forget which ;))
If you take this scripting-like approach, binary compatibility should not be an issue.
However you're still gonna have some apps which change the structure of their exposed objects but that would always be a recompile...

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 08:22 AM »
Continuous Integration is the key-word here, and there are several free systems for that, besides Visual Build Pro or Final Builder, although their integrations may be a little less polished then when using a commercial system.
Often used systems are: Hudson, Continuum and Cruise Control. All have their strong and weak points, but none cost money right away, so maybe that's waht some are trying to find? A sum-up of features en comparison can be found here

HTH
Ath