topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New Game Industry Scholarship for Women  (Read 6286 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New Game Industry Scholarship for Women
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:25 AM »
Research Triangle Park, NC - WomenGamers.Com is happy to announce that for the 2007-2008 school year, we are co-sponsoring the DigiPen Institute of Technology Women's Scholarship, a new scholarship for women interested in a career in the gaming industry. DigiPen Institute of Technology is offering five $2000.00 scholarships to five qualifying female students who obtain all of the following qualifications...

http://www.gamedev.n....asp?topic_id=423163

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Game Industry Scholarship for Women
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 06:05 AM »
Hmmm, the only thing about something like this is that if it were the other way around and a scholarship was being restricted to men only there would be complete uproar with people screaming about sexism and equal rights >:(

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:03 AM »
Hmmm, the only thing about something like this is that if it were the other way around and a scholarship was being restricted to men only there would be complete uproar with people screaming about sexism and equal rights >:(

Personally I don't believe in giving someone special treatment based on something they have no control over or something that is irrelevant. You don't get to pick your gender or race or geographic location of birth. Receiving special advantages for these things isn't fair to others....that's how I look at it.

The longer we perpetuate this notion of making up for past discrimination by giving the groups that were slighted, in the past, special treatment; the longer it will take before those groups will be truly treated as equals. Singling them out says 'they are different' in ways that shouldn't matter.  >:(

If I am a smart woman, don't make a big deal about it because I am female...make a big deal about it because I am smart. Being female is irrelevant here.

But...

If it's your money you are giving away, you have the right to choose who you are going to give it to. That being said, they have every right in the world to give it to a female if they choose...or someone under 4' 10"...or someone left handed...or to someone of a specific race.

Here is a list of other unusual scholarships:  http://finaid.org/sc...rships/unusual.phtml

There are other scholarships available based things that could be considered 'unfair':

There was only one reason why I posted the link:  It could be useful and of interest to someone.
I don't have to agree with them only giving it out to females to think it could be of use to someone.  ;)

Edit: Changed link for Juniata College to point at Left-Handed Scholarship info page.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 07:14 AM by app103 »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 10:53 AM »
But...

If it's your money you are giving away, you have the right to choose who you are going to give it to. That being said, they have every right in the world to give it to a female if they choose...or someone under 4' 10"...or someone left handed...or to someone of a specific race.

Very very true, I wasn't actually expressing anger at this scholarship idea. But I guess I was just thinking that in general, discrimination like this is tolerated or even encouraged by people who wouldn't accept it if the conditions were reversed.

Just me thinking out loud :) .