topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 11:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Couple of problems (screensaver and video during startup) - anyone any ideas?  (Read 3622 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Two odd problems on my system ...

1) My screensaver doesn't seem to kick in any more ? I have a screensaver set to trigger after 10 minutes. Preview works but the screensaver never seems to be activated even when I have been away from the computer for a while. Also I have powersettings set to switch off my monitor after 20 minutes and that doesn't work either? They did work but they seem to have stopped.

2) I tried to do a boot-time "chkdsk C: /F" and defrag of my system (using PerfectDisk). Both seem to work fine but whereas I used to get a blue screen during startup showing the progress of the operation my screen stays blank after the initial Windows screen. Eventually both processes finish and my system reboots into windows but it would be good to see what is going on in case there are errors or problems that need to be addressed. This is the first time I have tried to do this since my system rebuild so I am a little confused as to what is going on. I am using two GeForce 7300 cards in SLi mode, but I have tried disabling SLi and connecting my monitor first to one and then to the other graphics card with no effect ?

Anyone got any ideas what could be going on with these two issues?

Thanks.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ive had same boot problem when using own bootlogo. http://www.microsoft...rmation/bootini.mspx /bootlogo switch have this side effect. 

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I haven't modified the Boot file - it is as installed by default

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

I hadn't come across the final switch before but apparently it is to do with AMD Cool and Quiet technology (
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895980)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just a thought, have you installed any macro utilities since things last worked properly?
I use one that can create just the symptoms you describe (by design).

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Solved the screen save problem - I have a Wacom Graphire 2 tablet and it looks like the config profile got corrupted. Resetting the profiles to default seems to have fixed it.

Now then ... any idea on the boot time task graphics problem?