ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

For those that need a System Information Tool and haven't heard of SIW

(1/3) > >>

JoTo:
Today in the IRC Channel, Ken was in need of a System Information Tool that tells him about his installed memory a.s.o. He got "Everest" that does the trick, but is no longer freeware.

So i jumped in and told him about my favourite System Informationtool for Windows (SIW), that is very good one and free (Donationware).

After that, Ken "forced" me to post this goodie on the forum, even if i replied that SIW is a long time companion, everybody knows about it and it was surely mentioned here on DC a lot of times. But nothing helps...he insisted that i have to post.

After a forum search, i found only one thread that mentioned SIW and in a completely different context (as a revealing password tool - what SIW can do, but it is not its "general idea").

At this point i was conviced that i have to post it. :-)

Primary homepage (DOWN! a.t.m): http://www.gtopala.com/index.html
Secondary Homepage: http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/siw_download.html

From the site:
SIW  performs computer configuration analysis and diagnostics. It gives detailed information about your computer properties and settings, detailed specs for:
 - Software (Operating System, Installed Programs and Hotfixes, Processes, Services, Product Keys, Serial Numbers, Users, Open Files, System Uptime, Passwords hidden behind asterisks, Installed Codecs),
 - Hardware (Motherboard, Sensors, BIOS, CPU, chipset, PCI/AGP, USB and ISA/PnP Devices, Memory, Video Card, Monitor, Disk Drives, CD/DVD Devices, SCSI Devices, S.M.A.R.T., Ports, Printers),
 - Network (Network Cards, Network Shares, currently active Network Connections),
as well as real-time monitors for CPU, Memory, Page File usage and Network Traffic.
SIW can create a report file (CSV, HTML, TXT or XML), and is able to run in batch mode.
SIW is a standalone tool that does not require installation - one less installed program on your PC as well the fact that you can run the program directly from a USB flash drive (Portable Freeware).
--- End quote ---

Hope some find it still interesting...
CU
JoTo

tinjaw:
Well. There goes Ken's good idea for the month. Now we need to wait until December for the next one. :P

[Just Kidding. :D We all love Ken.  :-* He's dreamy, AND he can interpret your dreams.  :huh:]

KenR:
On JoTo's mention, I tried this application. While I have other utilities that provide considerable system information (and all cost money), this one is fantastic. It does an amazing number of things and gave me more information about my computer than anything else I had purchased. On the other hand, this utility is DonationWare, something near and dear to all of us. Additionally, there's no install - just a single exe that you run. Thank you very much to JoTo and the SIW developer.

Also, please, no one should expect another good idea from me by December!

Ken

wr975:
So i jumped in and told him about my favourite System Informationtool for Windows (SIW), that is very good one and free (Donationware).
-JoTo (November 10, 2006, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think SIW is the best free system information tool, but it's free for personal use only. There's a technical and business license which adds some command line parameters (a home user won't need, so the free version isn't really crippled).

http://www.gtopala.com/siw_command_line.html

Darwin:
Fabulous! Thank you, Ken for twisting JoTo's arm to post about this - I'd never heard of it and have been looking for something to replace Everest. I love the cartoon in the about dialogue, too - I use it all the time in my introductory Biology and Evolution lecture:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version