topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: For those that need a System Information Tool and haven't heard of SIW  (Read 9182 times)

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Today in the IRC Channel, Ken was in need of a System Information Tool that tells him about his installed memory a.s.o. He got "Everest" that does the trick, but is no longer freeware.

So i jumped in and told him about my favourite System Informationtool for Windows (SIW), that is very good one and free (Donationware).

After that, Ken "forced" me to post this goodie on the forum, even if i replied that SIW is a long time companion, everybody knows about it and it was surely mentioned here on DC a lot of times. But nothing helps...he insisted that i have to post.

After a forum search, i found only one thread that mentioned SIW and in a completely different context (as a revealing password tool - what SIW can do, but it is not its "general idea").

At this point i was conviced that i have to post it. :-)

Primary homepage (DOWN! a.t.m): http://www.gtopala.com/index.html
Secondary Homepage: http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/siw_download.html

siwscreen.gifFor those that need a System Information Tool and haven't heard of SIW

From the site:
SIW  performs computer configuration analysis and diagnostics. It gives detailed information about your computer properties and settings, detailed specs for:
 - Software (Operating System, Installed Programs and Hotfixes, Processes, Services, Product Keys, Serial Numbers, Users, Open Files, System Uptime, Passwords hidden behind asterisks, Installed Codecs),
 - Hardware (Motherboard, Sensors, BIOS, CPU, chipset, PCI/AGP, USB and ISA/PnP Devices, Memory, Video Card, Monitor, Disk Drives, CD/DVD Devices, SCSI Devices, S.M.A.R.T., Ports, Printers),
 - Network (Network Cards, Network Shares, currently active Network Connections),
as well as real-time monitors for CPU, Memory, Page File usage and Network Traffic.
SIW can create a report file (CSV, HTML, TXT or XML), and is able to run in batch mode.
SIW is a standalone tool that does not require installation - one less installed program on your PC as well the fact that you can run the program directly from a USB flash drive (Portable Freeware).

Hope some find it still interesting...
CU
JoTo
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:33 AM by JoTo »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well. There goes Ken's good idea for the month. Now we need to wait until December for the next one. :P

[Just Kidding. :D We all love Ken.  :-* He's dreamy, AND he can interpret your dreams.  :huh:]

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On JoTo's mention, I tried this application. While I have other utilities that provide considerable system information (and all cost money), this one is fantastic. It does an amazing number of things and gave me more information about my computer than anything else I had purchased. On the other hand, this utility is DonationWare, something near and dear to all of us. Additionally, there's no install - just a single exe that you run. Thank you very much to JoTo and the SIW developer.

Also, please, no one should expect another good idea from me by December!

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 08:19 AM by KenR »

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So i jumped in and told him about my favourite System Informationtool for Windows (SIW), that is very good one and free (Donationware).

I think SIW is the best free system information tool, but it's free for personal use only. There's a technical and business license which adds some command line parameters (a home user won't need, so the free version isn't really crippled).

http://www.gtopala.c...iw_command_line.html

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fabulous! Thank you, Ken for twisting JoTo's arm to post about this - I'd never heard of it and have been looking for something to replace Everest. I love the cartoon in the about dialogue, too - I use it all the time in my introductory Biology and Evolution lecture:

Evolutionary progression-small.pngFor those that need a System Information Tool and haven't heard of SIW
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 12:20 PM by Darwin »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow that program is incredible, thanks for posting.

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another absolutely wonderful tool which is a part of SIW is 'Eureka!', which lets you see the password behind the asterisks in Windows. While there are other similar tools out there, I've always found them flaky -- sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. Eureka! on the other hand has always worked for me so far.

Another reason why SIW is my premier system info utility.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
..., Ken was in need of a System Information Tool that tells him about his installed memory a.s.o. He got "Everest" that does the trick, but is no longer freeware.

You can still have the old, free EVEREST - but no longer supported:
http://www.majorgeek...om/download4181.html

Your links to SIW doesn't work for me.

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Curt,

i've posted this link 4 months ago. And at this time the link worked fine. Its the primary Domain for SIW from the author. It seems, he has a bit trouble with it, as i can read on his fallback, secondary homepage, that i found after 10 sec. of googling.

I added the second link to my post, for convinience for all and leave the primary one, as i suggest that it will be up again sooner or later.

Sorry for the broken link, but i can't guarantee the validity of my posted links over a longer time period, as i have no influence on all pages in the internet (even if wish i would have  ;D ). But thanks for pointing out the broken link.

CU
JoTo

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just noticed that there is a newer version and promptly 'installed' and regretted it. :(

I used v. 1.65 and when closing it says 'It's shut down time...'.  :D The new version says 'Cancel...please wait'. >:(
I think we've got enough 'OKs' and 'Cancels' and 'Please waits' in Windows already. I found the 'It's shut down time' a refreshing difference and proof of the programmers attention to detail.

But then again, I also need a 10k exhaust system on my 12k bike just because it looks better. :-[   

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SIW is on 'Giveaway of the Day' today

More info collected here > http://forum.hippoed...php/topic,725.0.html