topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Process Tamer works...but not on all apps!  (Read 11720 times)

kilou

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Process Tamer works...but not on all apps!
« on: November 09, 2006, 06:49 AM »
Hi,

I'm a new user of PT and this program is really what I have been looking for a long time! One of my motivation to use this software was to lower the priority of my antivirus software (Kaspersky AV6) when it is scanning in the background since this can often cause sluggish response of the system.

So I installed PT, protected the foreground process from being tamed (I prefer this), enabled balloon tips and launched the "Test CPU Eating App". When selecting another window, PT effectively lowered the priority of the test app and displayed a ballon tips accordingly. Making the test app active did increase its priority to normal, just as expected. Perfect I thought everything was setup correctly. Then I tried to test the same thing by launching a scan with my antivirus: nothing! I looked at the CPU usage of the antivirus process (avp.exe) and it was 98-100% most of the time....but the priority was still normal. I must stress that the antivirus was not the active window so it should have been tammed normally. No matter if it was the active window or not, the scanning was always at CPU 98-100% usage and the priority was always at normal (no ballon tips poped up of course).

Then I decided to test PT with another CPU stressing application known to benchmarkers: Prime95. I launched a torture test of the CPU (so CPU usage is always 100%) and checked the priority: it was set to low! So now it seemed to work but actually it didn't: the priority remained low whether Prime95 was the active window or not (the priority should have gone to normal when Prime95 is the active window, according to my configuration settings). Second thing: I did not get any balloon tips saying the the priority of Prime95 was set to low at the beginning of the test. Last but not least: unloading PT and relaunching a Prime95 torture test produced the same results: priority went to low as well. So It's likely that Prime95 itself sets its priority to low when running a test and this has nothing to do with PT.

So I have some troubles to understand what's going on with PT on my system:
- it works perfectly with the Test CPU Eating App, all the time as expected and with ballon tips
- it doesn't work at all with Kaspersky Antivirus when launching a scan (the antivirus always have a normal priority despite high CPU usage)
- it doesn't work with Prime95, the priority is changed by Prime95 itself and not by PT. I had no balloon tips and when making Prime95 the active window the priority remained low. This is not a good testing application since Prime95 lowers its priority itself automatically so PT has no impact on it probably.

If anybody can help me? My main goal is to understand how all this works and be able to have PT lowering the priority of Kaspersky antivirus when  the latter is scanning the HD in the background (only when it is in background and not when it's the active window so I don't want to force the priority of KAV to low).

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 07:02 AM by kilou »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Process Tamer works...but not on all apps!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 08:03 AM »
What version of Process Tamer are you using?  The ability to tame some of these system services like antivirus was only added recently..  The latest version is v2.08.01

kilou

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 09:08 AM »
I checked the version I'm using by going in the About tab of Process Tamer and it says....2.08.02 curisouly! I downloaded the version 2.08.01 from the link however....

Anyway this sounds to be an updated version and should contain the new "features" no?

kilou

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 01:18 PM »
Any news?

bitbizket

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 02:06 AM »
i have no problem with the cpu usage whatsover Kilou mention above.It does spike to 99 before due to compatibilty issues with other security products such as a firewall or an antispyware.After finding the fix from Wilders' forum i have no problem with it.Get the latest version of process tamer and its work well with the antivirus.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 02:08 AM by bitbizket »

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 10:07 PM »
I downloaded what i saw on this site last week and was using it, though, for at least 6 months. I has an issue with process eating up my CPU every time I started windows. It was caused by 'svchost.exe' and it was related to windows updates. This utility was never able to tame it. It worked fine on many other processes, though.

Bob G

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 06:42 PM »
I don't know if you ever figured out the issue with Kaspersky Anti Virus, but I had the same problem with Kaspersky Internet Security 2009.  Process Tamer would not change the priority of avp.exe when it was monopolizing my CPU.

Then I went into KIS Settings>Options and un-checked "Enable Self Defense."  Now Process Tamer is able to change the priority of avp.exe as necessary.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 06:44 PM »
Nice find Bob  :up:

Bob G

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:47 PM »
Thank you for Process Tamer!  As I type, Kaspersky is under control, my computer is responsive, and I am a happy camper.

Bob G

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 10:23 AM »
By the way, I also have the issue with svchost.exe monopolizing my CPU while it checks for  Microsoft updates at start up.

However, Process Tamer has been successfully changing the priority of svchost.exe on both of my computers.  I am running PT v2.09.01.