Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 24, 2014, 05:47:18 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Should we add a ratings/vote mod to the forum?  (Read 3918 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:38:53 PM »

Should we add a ratings/vote mod to the forum?
It would let people rate each topic (from 1-5); and show average rating on the posts list.

Pros: fun, easier to find good posts
Cons: might make people feel bad if their posts dont get rated highly.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:41:06 PM by mouser » Logged
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 03:54:41 PM »

YES! Add it! This would be a superb addition to the forums!

Then I can finally vote down those GOE threads I never view ;-) hehehehe

Strength in Knowledge
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 04:48:39 PM »

I dunno about this - it's usually a bit sucky when added to a forum that has existed for a while. Who's going to go through all the old threads and rate them? This means that possibly superior threads might show up at the bottom of search results, just because newer threads have been rated while the old ones haven't.

Fortunately some of the other problem (read: forum whoreism) that thread rating (or even worse: karma system) can give probably won't happen on DonationCoder, because it's such a unique place. But still: think this through.

- carpe noctem
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 05:39:51 PM »

Well, with the existed for a while issue, you could add a sort option that allows us to either sort by RATING or sort by date. That would allow us to see threads that would otherwise disappear.

Strength in Knowledge
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 06:43:54 PM »

Absolutely NOT!

This is not digg...what are you thinking?

And that is all I am going to say on the matter.  Angry

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 06:45:28 PM »

keep in mind that the ratings wouldn't actually *effect* anything the way they do on digg, but just serve as a way for people to idenitfy popular posts.. BUT.. you have a point.. that's why i ask these questions, to get thoughtfull opinions..
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 06:48:38 PM »

Hey, is this the mouser i know? You are thinking about adding a "wisdom of the crowds" mod to the forum?
WTF... What did those nice aliens do with you? tongue

As for my opinion... Usually, a good thread gets lots of posts and views, so a need for an explicit rating might be overkill. I think that maybe a "sort by views" and "sort by replies" might be the best way to go if you really insist on this.
I don't really see a "need" for it, though.

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 07:35:04 PM »

Actually, the idea that jgp states is a great one. Sorting by views or replies is a good way to do this without an official "voting" or "rating" system.

Strength in Knowledge
jacquesrober
Supporting Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 07:43:22 PM »

For what it is worth: no to ratings. Look what they did to movies with ratings. You get a dull ex iron curtain or other out  of the way title that appeals to the reviewer sense of justice and the result is a dull movie that gets a 2 or 3 out of 6. (6 is really bad) Mission impossible III got a rating of 4.5. The audience will rate it just by going to view the movie. I agree that the same applies to posts: the more people reply, the more interesting the subject.

JR
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 08:09:14 PM »

i agree with general consensus, ratings will only skew the search results bypassing the contents of a thread. & as f0dder pointed out, the older threads will get left out..

on the other hand, it might be easier for user to locate threads with useful tips/solutions/reviews/workarounds etc. since it has already been verified by the responsible & impartial folks of DC. smiley maybe only members at certain levels can be allowed to vote but then it will sound as elitism.. undecided

anyway, as the cliche goes, it's a double-edged sword or something like that. Wink (i know, i suck at cliches). just my 2ΒΆ..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.042s | Server load: 0.03 ]