topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: how wide can you stretch the width of your windows?  (Read 4169 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how wide can you stretch the width of your windows?
« on: November 08, 2006, 07:38 AM »
i'm testing webpage layouts and i'm curious as to how wide you can actually stretch the width of a browser window (i've noticed that all my windows behave the same - not just browsers).

i'm not talking about the the 'maximised' window width - i mean, if you arrange a window on screen so that it is almost the maximum width of your monitor - and then you move the window over to a side edge of the screen so that most of it's content is hidden off screen...

...how far can you then drag the side edge of the window so that the window is widened even more?

i can only resize the window so that it never has more width than the horizontal width of my monitor. okay, this seems sensible but i'm sure i've had windows in the past that i could resize wider than the width of the monitor - maybe it was when i was using dual monitors(?)

could someone please confirm whether they can actually resize a window so that it is wider than the physical pixel dimensions of their monitor (or not).

thanks.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: how wide can you stretch the width of your windows?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 08:44 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D You are absolutelly right! I cannot stretch opera more than the sum of the widths of both my screens. I had never tried it, it's rather strange to see my browser streched through both my screens.. :D
Curious find, though. I'd never think of it. I see no reason for this limitation, though.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 09:04 AM »
Even if using a tool like WinScraper, resizing is clipped to total monitor(s) width :(
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 09:41 AM »
right. thanks.

interesting.

i shall find another way to test what i was doing - perhaps.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 08:21 PM »
good experiment, nudone! curiously i didn't know this until you mentioned it.. :)