Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 31, 2014, 11:54:32 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Process Monitor from MS+SysInternals (evolved from Regmon+Filemon)  (Read 7270 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 08, 2006, 02:36:56 AM »

This is a must have tool for those who have used SysInternals Regmon or Filemon: Process Monitor from MS (developed by sysinterals people i think after they joined MS).

Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity. It combines the features of two legacy Sysinternals utilities, Filemon and Regmon, and adds an extensive list of enhancements including rich and non-destructive filtering, comprehensive event properties such session IDs and user names, reliable process information, full thread stacks with integrated symbol support for each operation, simultaneous logging to a file, and much more. Its uniquely powerful features will make Process Monitor a core utility in your system troubleshooting and malware hunting toolkit.

from http://roadtoknowwhere.com/
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 02:43:29 AM »

note: download is at very bottom of page.
also see the new MS+SysInternals forum here: http://forum.sysinternals.com/
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 06:12:58 AM »

Great program. It's a must have if you need to track down rogue processes.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 09:01:45 AM »

Too bad they're not porting over the sysinternals source code section, as well as some of the "smaller" apps, to the new MS home. Knew there'd be a catch.

- carpe noctem
Tekzel
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 02:52:31 PM »

Process Monitor has been there since long before Microsoft bought Sysinternals.  One thing I wish they would do is combine those monitor tools into one, FileMon, RegMon, ProcMon and DiskMon (raw disk access monitor, not file based like FileMon).  That would be cool.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 03:20:33 PM »

process monitor IS the combo of regmon and filemon (not sure about diskmon..)
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 04:45:34 PM »

And they should NOT combine anything with Process Explorer - would make it too big & bloated.

- carpe noctem
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 12:32:58 PM »

I just had a very nasty experience the other day. I was working on a minor bugfix for Notepad++ and wanted to track down some file activity. Started the new process monitor, added some filter, started notepad++ in debug mode in vs.net2005... and *b00m*, my system locked up. I could still move windows around and a few of them still repainted, but couldn't launch new processes, couldn't terminate anything, etc. System wouldn't even shut down, so I ended up having to do a hardboot Sad

- carpe noctem
Tekzel
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 10:46:57 AM »

Doh!  How did I get ProcessExplorer and ProcessMonitor mixed up?!?  Not like the names are similar or anything. Damn Microsoft, I blame them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.03s | Server load: 0.16 ]