ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

GETTING ORGANIZED EXPERIMENT - WEEK NINE ASSIGNMENT

<< < (2/4) > >>

app103:
@app103 (even though I know you won't return here to read it :P):  Your zen-like agenga says it all. 8)  Makes me wonder why I spent so much time spinning my wheels.  We can probably all tear up our well-intentioned lists and go straight to yours.  When we finish this project, I suggest we distill it all down to app103's agenda list.
-momonan (November 08, 2006, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I came back here because you begged me to.   ;D

I have to respond to this...

This whole GOE project came at a bad time in my life...I have a lot on my mind. I can't focus on the things I want to focus on and get anything done.

GOE isn't helping me any and it's just making me feel bad about myself for not making any progress, which I don't need right now.

I am going to concentrate on fixing some other things for now...then maybe think about time management when I can better handle it.

If the whole GOE project has helped you, stick with it...keep going. Don't throw away good habits. Just don't lose sight of what is important either.

I think our goal in life should be the pursuit of happiness...not the pursuit of getting more done.

So now I will go pursue happiness...and get things done later when I can smile while doing it and it can mean something.

nudone:
most important thing i've learnt from this experiment - and the only tip/technique that i use is this (from one of Forster's books)...

if you are walking around with that sense of dread, trying to put something off, trying to ignore it or find other tasks to replace it - just stop and get on with it.

there's nothing that can kill that sense of anguish or anxiety other than just getting on with the thing you are avoiding. i admit, it might take me a couple of days or so before i actually carry out this advice myself - but that is part of it - steam for a bit then just get on with the job before the pressure reaches to high.

i guess, that is of no help either - depends on what you are putting off and how much longer you are going to let the pressure build.

(yep, i don't use any other time-management techniques - everything else just happens naturally after doing the above.)

mouser:
well i've had a much more positive and helpful experience with the GOE then app and nudone it seems;

this assignment comes at a good time though i can't admit i'm looking forward to it as it feels "uncomfortable" to me. it does address one of the issues i have though, as i'm doing a great job of tracking all my tasks and working through them, but i really do need to look up from the minutia of daily tasks and make sure i'm heading in a good direction..  :up:

tomos:
Thanks momonan
got to go *study* that  :)

think we might need more than a week though for:
"a mission statement for you life"

it is what I've been wanting to look at though,
so it's great to get the assignment :read:

longrun:
A few thoughts:

Achieving one's life goals is more important than completing a bunch of tasks, but sometimes it's simply impossible to work towards these goals without getting other things out of the way. In my case, clutter is the pervasive obstacle, and I realized I could not simultaneously attack it and work on the major goals. Therefore I am deliberately postponing other objectives and devoting much of my energy to simplifying my life and getting rid of things as a means toward an end . While I am a great procrastinator, in this case I don't view it as procrastination but as the only way I'll ever be able to tackle the important things. Obviously I can't let this phase go on forever.

I've never really liked or understood the way My Life Organized orders one's to-do list, as goals are always placed above urgent tasks. In the FTF context, however, this makes sense, as your goals are always staring you in the face. It may make sense to limit goals in MLO to truly major goals, and define what one might normally consider goals (finish report this week, etc.) as tasks.

This last item is probably more relevant to previous weeks than to this one, but one tool I've been using is a bit of defunct freeware called Subliminal Messages 3.0. Subliminal messages are basically malarkey, but one can use the program to place conscious, supraliminal (don't know if that's a word, but liminal beans barely perceptible) reminders at regular intervals. In my case I've pared the messages to two: "Am I doing what I should be doing?" and "You can't organize clutter; you can only get rid of it."

SM is no longer distributed but can be downloaded here (hosted by DC): http://www.securepc.us/downloads.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version