ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best free firewall for Windows?

<< < (19/53) > >>

nosh:
Darwin,
I was tempted to try it myself but I read somewhere it doesn't have checks for dll injection. You may want to look this up (I'm not sure if it's been rectified in the newer versions) before you make it a permanent fixture.

Darwin:
Thanks, Nosh. I still haven't installed Threatfire - not sure if I'm going to bother or not. The problem you are referring to above, does it relate to Threatfire or to PC Tools Desktop Firewall?

Armando:
And in terms of dll injection detection and other (outbound filtering) technologies, it seems to me that Online Armor should be part of anyone's "trying list"...

Curt:
To my understanding Online Armor is $40 once - not "per year"?  :tellme:
If so it really is tempting!  :up:

Armando:
Curt : there's also a free version that should be enough for most.

BTW, those who use comodo should be aware that the “Basic Firewall” installation isn't worth s***. I just found out! I thought that it was AT LEAST doing some kind of outbound filtering, but not at all. Bye bye comodo. I'm installing something else tonight since Comodo's Defense+ doesn't play well with many applications (slows down farr, mostly -- not acceptable...  ;) )

Because I have written in the recent past with an initially positive reaction to Comodo 3’s “Basic Firewall” installation option, I am honor-bound to post this quick message.
I have learned directly from Comodo executives that the Basic Firewall installation option of Comodo 3 does not offer any outbound leak protection whatsoever. The company may add that protection in a future version of Comodo 3.x. The Basic Firewall option turns off Comodo 3’s Defense+ HIPS module (which constitutes the “Advanced” default installation mode). Defense+ provides the leak protection for Comodo 3.
The previous generation of the Comodo 2.4 provided anti-leak protection without the new HIPS module.
Not only does this mean that Comodo 3’s optional Basic Firewall mode is no longer a contender in this blog’s firewall evaluation, but if you’re relying on this version of Comodo 3 for your firewall protection, Windows XP users should switch to Online Armor FREE version 2.1.0.31 (or newer) and Vista users should uninstall Comodo 3 and reinstall it, choosing the “Advanced” installation option.
--- End quote ---
http://blog.scotsnewsletter.com/2008/01/20/do-not-rely-on-comodo-3s-basic-firewall

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version