ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best free firewall for Windows?

<< < (10/53) > >>

lanux128:
btw, i'm behind a secure router, so much so that i've ditched 3rd-party firewalls for the Windows firewall, even though i came to know that it does only offers inbound protection.

f0dder:
btw, i'm behind a secure router, so much so that i've ditched 3rd-party firewalls for the Windows firewall, even though i came to know that it does only offers inbound protection.
-lanux128 (January 16, 2008, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Who cares about outbound "protection" anyway? When you get to the point where it kicks in, your PC has already been compromised... I see it as fixing the symptoms instead of curing the problem.

lanux128:
[off-topic]
f0dder, i'd like to ask for your expert opinion regarding this router problem i'm having. more info here.
[/off-topic]

mwb1100:
Who cares about outbound "protection" anyway? When you get to the point where it kicks in, your PC has already been compromised... I see it as fixing the symptoms instead of curing the problem.
-f0dder (January 16, 2008, 06:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I suppose that you can think of it like a burglar alarm.  Not that I use outbound protection - it's far too much work to configure.

Liquidmantis:
Well, outbound protection lets you know when something has gone wrong and can help minimize the damage.  I also like to make sure I know what the "benign" apps on my system are doing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version