ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best free firewall for Windows?

<< < (8/53) > >>

mrainey:
I've dumped A2, Prevx (tiresome), and TrojanHunter.
--- End quote ---

Why dump TrojanHunter?

nosh:
Well, sygate was indeed the best firewall i ever used for windows. RIP. I'd recommend anyone to try and find a copy of it.
-Gothi[c] (November 07, 2006, 12:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can find Sygate 5.0 to 5.6.2808 here:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sygate
-laughinglizard (November 30, 2007, 01:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was stuck on 5.5 assuming it was the latest last version released. Doh! Thanks.

OldElmerFudd:
I've dumped A2, Prevx (tiresome), and TrojanHunter.
--- End quote ---

Why dump TrojanHunter?

-mrainey (November 30, 2007, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Umm...Well, when it came time to renew it, I'd already decided to let it lapse. I routinely scan all downloads for problems. I never heard a peep out of TrojanHunter (and I encountered a few nasties) except 'Thanks for updating'! BTW, after a trial run at Eset's Smart Security, I found the firewall kind of lame and the anti-spam component equally lackluster. I do like the upgrade from 2.7 to 3.0 in the Nod32 AV. Light footprint and automatic daily updates; set it and forget it. Just haven't been as impressed by any freeware. Sigh.
OEF

Armando:
I finally updated my Comodo v2 to v3, and I'm happy I did. Much more configurable, and takes even less resources than it did (v3 : 3-8mb on my laptop). With version 2 I had problem with the DLL injection monitoring, but that's fixed now. The system process also went berserk from time to time. That's fixed too.
The interface looks nice (although I'd like to have a Windows Classic theme instead). My system is stable.
All in all, it seems like a VERY good deal!

nontroppo:
Has anyone ever tried using the port of IPFW for windows? For those who don't know, IPFW is a BSD originated FW that is very well regarded. As expected from its heritage, it is command-line in nature:

http://wipfw.sourceforge.net/

Come on, enjoy some FW masochism!  ;) 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version