ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best free firewall for Windows?

<< < (49/53) > >>

Bamse:
Yes but there is a big difference between actual need and what not so informed people want and dont forget - are told to use Tuxman. Photoshop is highly recommended for resizing pics, Dreamweaver is the one to use for webbuilding. How it has been for years. Accelerates unless circle is broken. General level of know-how is not as high as you think, reasons are many though.

Tuxman:
Photoshop is highly recommended for resizing pics-Bamse (October 25, 2009, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
WTF? For resizing?!
OK, that was new to me.

Break a fly on the wheel, eh? Like using Word for keeping notes...

Alright, back to topic.  ;D

Innuendo:
In an effort to get things back on topic....

If you really want it locked down, you're going to combine border gateway firewall (with SPI) with per-machine PFWs.-f0dder
--- End quote ---

A layered defense is always the best defense. Having a gateway firewall (whether it be an appliance or a computer) is the single most important thing you can do to protect your network. Any software one installs on the PCs behind that firewall (firewall software, anti-malware, etc.) is mostly to address the human element of computing which includes, but is not limited to, human error clicking on something one is not supposed to, someone bringing software in contact with the network via a source that does not go through your gateway firewall (DVDs, flash drives, that cool game or app a friend gave them that phones home data you'd rather it didn't, etc.).

If you are a smart cookie & are the only one who uses the computers at your location then a lot of security measures are optional. In my situation, however, I have numerous computers in my home & when out-of-town relatives visit they use the PCs and aren't always as safe when surfing as I am. Compound this by the fact that some of those visitors are under 18. Who knows what all they click on....but so far my chosen security measures have kept the PCs on my network safe.

None of this is directed towards you, f0dder. I know you know this stuff, but your post was a perfect point to springboard this thread back in the proper direction.

Bamse:
You failed with that effort  :D Why no one mention Privatefirewall? Is free for private and business use though not listed at such by Matousec site. http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html program as ugly as website, but I think only firewall I have tried where I did not notice it was running. HIPS stuff dont work with 64bit but some might just want a good old firewall.   

tomos:
You failed with that effort -Bamse (October 30, 2009, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

what's eating you :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version